dynamic autosort?

xcellnoob

Board Regular
I have a worksheet where the information is something like:

A1 B1

Name Playing Date

Mike 10/12/2006

Say 10 or 20 of those with the data sorted descending by date. What I want is if the date changes....I want the whole table to resort based on descending dates. So, say mike is the fourth entry at 10/12/2006 and his date changes to 10/14.2006, then the list would refresh and autosort based on that change.
Is this even possible? Please tell me it is without VBA or macros.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Never mind, I figured out a work around.
Basically did a RANK column and then did an indirect to dynamically sort and then a VLOOKUP to fill in the info. I'm sure there's an easier way, but I'm a master with Duct tape.
:)

Upvote 0
Actually, This did and did not work. it did work to create a new column of data, but this isn't what I want. What I want is to enter the date and the EXISTING columns of data sort upon the new date entered automatically.
Please help???

Upvote 0
xcellnoob

If I have understood correctly, you will need to use VBA. This code may need some modification but I think it is headed in the right direction for you. Post back if you need help with with how to get the code working for you.

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Change(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> DataArea <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> NoRows <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Target.Count <> 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Target.Column > 2 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>

Application.EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN>
    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN>
    NoRows = Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> DataArea = Range("A2:B" & NoRows)
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> DataArea
        .Sort Key1:=Range("B2"), Order1:=xlDescending, Header:=xlNo, _
        OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
        DataOption1:=xlSortNormal
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN>
    Application.EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN>
    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0
I don't know how to get this to work. I opened up VBA, pasted into this workbook and entered in some names and dates and nothing happened. Do I have to Run it? I would like for it to happen automatically. Hope this helps with understanding my dillemna.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
I don't know how to get this to work. I opened up VBA, pasted into this workbook and entered in some names and dates and nothing happened. Do I have to Run it? I would like for it to happen automatically. Hope this helps with understanding my dillemna.
Thanks!
In the VBA window, double click on the particular Sheet in the left pane (not This Workbook) and paste the code there.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CantExcel123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back