Dynamic Capacity and Drop Downboxes

A_mutant

Hello,

Building a spreadsheet (Excel 2010) for a client that wants to track different levels of capacity based on location. All of the widgets are moving and I want the total capacity of new location to be dynamic based on the drop down that is chosen on the widget page.

Details:

I have two pages, Widgets & Destination

Widget Page:
  • Widgets have Size and Weight Columns. A third column has been added for DESTINATION. I have the destination cells as dropdowns. (Dest 1, Dest 2 etc etc) Which is completed.
  • The Size and Weight of the Widget is static for this case.

Destination Page:
  • Destinations have Total Size(#), Current Full (%), Total Weight Over Committed (%)
  • Destinations match those in the drop down box on the Widgets Page

What I would like is when a new destination is selected from the Widgets page, the Destination Page will take the Size and Weight of the Widget into its values for Current Full and Total Weight Over Committed. If I move a Widget to another Destination on the Widgets Page, the Values will update correctly on the Destination Page.

FYI: I am using Widgets, Size and Weight as values to keep this simple on the forum. This is a Capacity roadmap for Storage of Virtual Machines in VMware. Total Weight Over Committed is actually Over Provisioned Space. So it would be a % above 100%. This is perfectly acceptable in VMware and Storage. However the question I have is totally 100% Excel. I will be keeping the terms to Widget, Size and Weight.

Back to topic. Would a formula in the cells for Current Full and Total Weight Over Committed work or would I need Macros?

Thank you for the help.

a_mutant

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back