Dynamic Custom Column in Power Query "M"

zzzzzzzzzz

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a dynamic tool that references end user input in the query and performs operations on the source data.

Right now I have a table on a spread sheet where a user can provide input which is then called in the query to create a custom column. The inputs correspond to column names in the query. Example:

let

Source = *Underlying Table*

ColumnName1 = Input1,
ColumnName2 = Input2,
ColumnName3 = Input3,

CreateCustomColumn = Table.AddColumn(Source, "CustomColumn1", each "["&ColumnName1&"]" = "["&ColumnName2&"]")

in
CreateCustomColumn

I want it to return the value as true or false depending on if the records match. The issue is that once it evaluates "["&ColumnName1&"]" and it compares it as a string and not the fields of each record. I haven't found a way for it to recognize them as records. Help!

(Side note: language "M" kinda blows.. no loops?!)

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
You could do this by duplicating the columns you want to compare (since the DuplicateColumn function allows you to specify the source column as a String), then creating a calculated column comparing the two duplicated columns - using the fixed names you can give the duplicates - then hide the duplicates from the output. So something like this (Table2 is the query that returns your column heading tables):
Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    Duplicate1 = Table.DuplicateColumn(Source, Table2{0}[Column1],"MatchCol1" ),
    Duplicate2 = Table.DuplicateColumn(Duplicate1, Table2{1}[Column1],"MatchCol2" ),
    AddCalcCol = Table.AddColumn(Duplicate2, "Matches", each [MatchCol1]=[MatchCol2]),
    FinalTable = Table.SelectColumns(AddCalcCol,{"Header1", "Header2", "Header3", "Header4", "Header5", "Header6", "Header7", "Matches"})

in
    FinalTable

There's probably a much neater M solution though!

Upvote 0
Great suggestion! It's working for my purposes so far but I'm using a relatively small amount of data. We'll see how long it takes to run when I feed it a bit more.

Thanks!(y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back