Dynamic Data Validation List Inside a Table

ko1967

My production version of Excel365 just got updated with dynamic arrays .. hallelujah.

Creating a dynamic array formula (using FILTER) and then referencing that cell# in data validation is awesome. But that relies on only a known number of occurrences.

Does anyone know how to do this inside a table.

Lets say you have a billing table with columns for Client and Project and then you enter your billing data for the client and project. Currently the Project data validation list all projects from the Projects table but I'd like to limit the Projects (via data validation) to just those corresponding to the client in the [@Client] field so that thousands of projects don't show up for every client. The code is simple (if I put it outside a table and know the [@Client] value, i.e. =SORT(FILTER(tblProject[Project],tblProject[Client]=[@Client])). But I can't put this formula in a cell outside the table so it can spill because it is dynamic based on which row (i.e. which client) the relevant for the filter and I can't put the code directly inside the data validation box as it won't provide the results and I even tried wrapping it in INDIRECT() and it won't pull dynamic list. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Hi, could you post a small sample? Data validation can easily limit the number of choices given a Main Table that would list for each client the authorized corresponding projects.
example:
Book1
ABCDEF
1CategoryItemClient_1Client_2Client_3
2Client_1Project_59Project_13Project_5Project_26
3Client_2Project_27Project_1Project_27Project_58
4Client_3Project_60Project_59Project_23Project_56
5Client_3Project_26Project_8Project_47Project_19
6Project_32Project_62
7Project_65Project_60
8Project_38
9Project_69
ko1967
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
A2:A5List=myClient
B2:B5List=myProject

With Created in the Name manager
myClient =Table1[#Headers]
myProject =OFFSET(myProjectList,0,0,COUNTA(myProjectList),1)
myProjectList =INDEX(Table1,0,MATCH('ko1967'!XFD1,Table1[#Headers],0))

Upvote 0
Thanks cyrilbrd. Yes, you have the workaround necessary but it comes with a price. Every time you add a new client you have to add a new column and every time you add a new project you have to add that project to the column for that client. So I have to maintain a client list, a project list (tied to clients), and then another table to put these in rows and columns.

Microsoft was so close with dynamic arrays and filtering but like other things they failed to include them in all aspects (i.. allow the formulas inside data validation).

The workaround I found to be better for me was to filter all projects (regardless of client) on the Active/Inactive flag. This allows me to create a spilled array =FILTER(tblProject[Project],tblProject[Active]="Y") and then reference the first cell (e.g. =A1#) inside the data validation. It doesn't limit it to only the client in this row of the table but it does limit it to a small enough set of projects that are active that I can see a manageable list.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back