Dynamic filtering question - require specific output

Amenbreak

Hi all

Many thanks in advance for any help that can be afforded to me. I have searched for dynamic filter in this forum, but I'm looking for a specific outcome and I'm not versed enough in the Excel language/terminology to be able to work out which posts I find can help me, so apologies if this is already covered.

I'm not an expert in Excel, I do know some basic ways to filter, and I have found a YouTube video that partly answers my questions. If you look at the first five seconds of the video linked below, the gentleman types into the search box and it immediately hides all rows that do not contain the letters being typed, but only for the first column. I would like to achieve this filtering but for a spreadsheet that has 20 columns, with data in all of them. So for example, if I have the name Smith appearing in various rows, and columns, the search will still capture this word and hide irrelevant rows regardless of what column the word or numbers being typed appear in. So the letter S will hide all the rows that don't have this, then SM, only the rows that contain SM, then SMI, SMIT, etc.

Does anyone know of an easy to follow YouTube tutorial that does this? I've found a few that filter data into a different part of the spreadsheet, and focus on just one or two columns, but I don't want this, I'd like the rows of data to stay as they are, and the irrelevant ones simply hide, when the search letters appear in any of the columns, not just one or two.

Again, all help appreciated.

Paul

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Perhaps the attached file will help - it is just an option.

It uses a concat column to create a master lookup column and filters any found values to that column.

Dynamic Filter.xlsm

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back