Dynamic Function VBA

tuckertubaman

Hello,
I'm new to Mr. Excel and have a question about writing a function in VBA.

I need to insert a formula into an excel cell using "ActiveCell.Formula". Here's all I need it to do: find the difference between values. Here's the catch- The location of the values is always changing as I add new data.
Background:
Assume I'm inserting a formula into "A1" and C = 35 (but this value is dynamic)

I'd like a formula something similar to "=RC[C-9]-RC[2*C-18]"

I realize this is improper but it's closest to what I'd like it to do: From the active cell, take the value C-9 (or 35-9=26 currently) columns over and subtract from 2*C-18 (or 70-18=52 currently) columns over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
1. the basics of data is everything is in its own column. So why is your data column keep changing?
If so, why not have say,column A be 'the data' permenant column where the formula looks. and if your data today is actually in col C then set formula in A.formula =C
tomorrow A.formula =D
Instead of changing the formulas, change A to point to the data.

2. if you want the formula method, record a macro, type in the formula, stop macro. Now you can see what you must use in VBA.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help.
This file is a large file containing month-end data. It's updated monthly by inserting a few new columns for month-end data, and I'm creating a macro to make these updates easier. This formula I'm attempting to create is finding the difference between the two added columns. Like I said, it's an easy formula, but the references change every month since the columns are shifting by adding new month-end data. The location of the two referenced columns are always C-9 and 2*C-18 rows away, since C increases by 1 every month.

I don't think I can do the record macro method, because like I said above, come next month, the columns will have shifted over.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back