dynamic graph updating (titles and size of source)

EllieCat

I'm hoping someone can help me.

Every month, a set of graphs is produced showing trend year to date from January. And every month I have to go through, update the source reference to include the new months data, and change the titles so they say "July" (I know it's september now, I run 2 months in arrears)

Is there any way to make the title of the chart a cell reference or formula? I tried deleting the title and having a dummy point I could add a data label to (using appspro x-y labeler) but couldn't find a way to expand the label to the full width of the chart (it seemed to cap at about 2 words in 20 point font and then wrapping to a new line)

On a similar time saving note, is there any way to set the source data up so that once there is data for July, it's displayed on the graph, without having large blank space after it?

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Thank you Andrew, that's exactly what I need!

The one thing the examples don't cover is changing the title of the chart dynamically, any ideas if that's possible?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Use a formula in a cell to return the title you want. Click the Chart Title, enter = in the Formula Bar, point at the cell containing your title and press Enter.

Upvote 0
...You learn something new every day. I never noticed there was a formula bar on graphs, I've been trying to type "=" in the text box. :oops:

Thank you so much, and appologies for my blondeness.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back