Dynamic Hyperlink - Type a region name into a cell which drives a hyperlink

Richynero

Board Regular
Hello everyone, I have a spreadsheet with about 80+ sheets. I want to hyperlink to them.

I have a contents page at the front which is fine. But within the spreadsheet I want to create a dynamic hyperlink.

I have sheets named Region 1, Region 2 up to region 40. I want to be able to type Region 4 in cell A2 that drives a hyperlink in cell A1. I don't want to use VBA, I can do this using VBA but would like a non-vba solution. I am sure this can be done but I am struggling with the syntax using the HYPERLINK().

Thanking you all in advance.

Richard

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
I really hope there's an easier way than this, but it appears to work

=HYPERLINK(MID(LEFT(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))),FIND("[",CELL("filename")),255)&"'region "&A1&"'!A1","Link")

If you just type the sheet number (the 'region ' bit is included in the formula) it ought to work.

The cell reference in red shows what you'd need to change if you want the hyperlink to go to a cell other than A1.

Upvote 0
That is sooo weird. This is the formula I was just playing with before I read your post:

=MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("[",CELL("filename")),(FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1)-FIND("[",CELL("filename")))

But couldnt get this to work inside the hyperlink(). Going to try your formula and let you know if I can get it to work.

Thanks alot, been stuck on this for a while now.

Upvote 0
Weaver!

It worked perfectly, now I understand the syntax I should be able to use this in many more of my enterprise models.

I will probably move the complex mid to another cell and then just reference it as I think CELL() is volatile, which could slow down my 100 sheet monster down a little.

Thanks for solving my problem and thank you for responding so quickly.

Upvote 0
A simpler method which provided by Excel Wizard Andy Pope.

With the sheet name contained in cell A2.

=HYPERLINK("#'" & A2 & "'!A1",A2)

Upvote 0
a simpler method which provided by excel wizard andy pope.

With the sheet name contained in cell a2.

=hyperlink("#'" & a2 & "'!a1",a2)
LOL - happy to hear it. Figured it would have to be something along a completely different tack. Was there any explanation of what the # represents and in what other circumstances it can be used?

You'd think that if the workbook name was omitted, it would just assume it was the current one anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Explanation from an Internet friend..

"Yes, without it the HYPERLINK function will not work correctly :P

In the help the example for linking to a cell on a different sheet within the same workbook is,
=HYPERLINK("[Budget.xlsx]September!E56", E56)

The # can be used instead of the [Budget.xlsx] part that defines the workbook name. I guess it's shorthand for relative to this workbook."

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back