Dynamic in finding column name in formula

harinsh

Hi Team,

I need some option or solution to my query. I have dataset which define with table and given table name and total column consists of 10 and this is not fixed tomorrow when I get fresh data the number of columns may get increase to 11 or 12.

I created few formulas based on the table (within the table at beginning of the column) and when I paste the new data columns also might get change for example in column "B" if you have EMP ID tomorrow it might be in column "C".

If I define EMP ID in formula it will only pick always column B not EMP ID.. It should automatically pick the column based on the column name not column number.

Is there any work around for this. Thank you,

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Hello you haven't described enough to give an actual solution but you can use MATCH to find the column heading, for example:

=MATCH("EMP ID",A1:Z1,0)

that will give you the relative position of the column and you can use that in other functions like INDEX to do things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Joyner,

Thanks for your reply. I understand the formula to find out the column name. But my question, I have 3 formulated columns beginning of the table and using couple of calculated formulas like "Sum if " & Match, Vlookup etc., when I refer the column name it will get static and tomorrow my data may not contain name column name in column 2 it vary from day by day. (Today column D contains EMP ID but tomorrow EMP ID will be at column Z)

I want not to change the column name in the formula irrespective of data change but the column name will not change only position of column names will change.

Upvote 0
I'm not following you, there is nothing "static" about using MATCH, if you care to post an example I can show you how to use INDEX and MATCH for example so that SUMIFS and VLOOKUP will work regardless of where the column is in your data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbone Mathonsi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back