Dynamic Line Graph, Multiple Series

SvelteRose

Hello,

I am trying to created a line graph with 12-13 series that you can interact with. Like this graph below:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5582/excelhelp.jpg

I would like to be able to created a line graph where you can zoom in 5 yrs, 10 yrs, etc. Everything I choose from a drop down menu, I would like it to show the years interval. There are 2 viewing types:

Actual (1981-1985)
Actual (1981-1990)
Comparable (-2 to 3)
Comparable (-2 to 8)

The comparable shows the year starting at the first year when a company made their initial public offering (IPO). Negative numbers indicate years prior to IPO.

I thought a macro would help but apparently, dynamic charts are also feasible? Unfortunately, the dynamic chart option did not seem to work so I am at a loss.

First off, these are my named formulas:

StartYr: =MID(SummaryDB!$B$5,FIND("(",SummaryDB!$B$5)+1,FIND("-",SummaryDB!$B$5)-FIND("(",SummaryDB!$B$5)-1)

EndYr: =MID(SummaryDB!$B$5,FIND("-",SummaryDB!$B$5)+1,FIND(")",SummaryDB!$B$5)-FIND("-",SummaryDB!$B$5)-1)

B5 is where the drop down menu shows the values. (IE: Actual (1981-1985), Comparable (-2 to 3))

Now I am trying to point out what array the chart should look for depending on the interval chosen:

XValues: =SummaryDB!$C$8:INDEX(SummaryDB!$8:$8,MATCH(EndYr,SummaryDB!$8:$8,0))

Wherein Row 8 is part of a chart data that the line graph is reading off of. Row 8 specifies the years, Row 9 and on is the data per company. Row 8 is driven by a formula. C8 says 1981 while D8 has a formula C8+1 and shows the value 1982 in the cell. That's when you choose the "Actual" intervals. If you choose any of the "Comparable" intervals, it will read -2, -1, 1, 2, 3...etc. Again, the cells are formula-drive except for C8.

Unfortunately, every time I go to the chart, right click, and try to edit the horizontal axis, my "=XValues" keeps giving me an error message. I cannot fathom what the issue is with the darn formula and it's driving me crazy. Is there an alternative?

I have added the worksheet: http://www.mediafire.com/?mmaw2mtzvg3

Last edited:

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back