Dynamic lookup and return value of last non-blank cell in that column

Silverhorne

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Good morning,

I am working in Excel2019, I have been using index/match formulas to get most of what I need from my sheet but can't figure out how to get what I need with this one.
The below formula is incomplete but it shows the row I need from another tab:
=INDEX(Depth!$B$2:$ZZ$100,MATCH($C3,Depth!$B$2:$ZZ$2,0))
What I would like to do is find the last cell in this row that contains a value.
I am not sure if index/match will work for this, possibly some other lookup function that finds a dynamic value (in this case $C3) in a row (Depth!$B$2:$ZZ$2) on another tab and then displays the contents of the last populated cell in this column.

Any help is much appreciated!

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
The original solution worked but I ran into a situation where I needed the array formula due to a letter added to the last cell.
I got 2 birds with 1 stone!! That made my day!
⚠ I would be slightly cautious. With either of the formulas from posts 8 or 9, if subsequently any rows might be added to the top of the 'Depth' sheet, those formulas will no longer return the correct result.

In row 4 below is another regular formula suggestion that is robust against such row insertion. I have used the same layout and ranges as in posts 8 & 9 with the same data in 'Depth'

Here is my result sheet with all 3 formulas returning the correct results:

Book1
BCD
3P1-02P1-05
4Post 12the last value5
5Post 8the last value5
6Post 9the last value5
Lookup
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C4:D4C4=INDEX(Depth!$A:$I,AGGREGATE(14,6,ROW(Depth!$A$1:$I$8)/((Depth!$A$1:$I$99<>"")*(Depth!$A$1:$I$1=C3)),1),MATCH(C3,Depth!$A$1:$I$1,0))
C5:D5C5{=INDEX(Depth!$A$2:$I$8,MAX(IF(Depth!$A$1:$I$1=C3,IF(Depth!$A$2:$I$8<>"",ROW(Depth!$A$2:$I$8))))-1,MATCH(C3,Depth!$A$1:$I$1,0))}
C6:D6C6=INDEX(Depth!$A$1:$I$8,SUMPRODUCT(MAX((Depth!$A$1:$I$1=C3)*(Depth!$A$1:$I$8<>"")*(ROW(Depth!$A$1:$I$8)))),MATCH(C3,Depth!$A$1:$I$1))
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas surrounded with curly braces.

.. and here it is again after a new row 1 has been added to 'Depth'

Book1
BCD
3P1-02P1-05
4Post 12the last value5
5Post 80#REF!
6Post 90#REF!
Lookup
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C4:D4C4=INDEX(Depth!$A:$I,AGGREGATE(14,6,ROW(Depth!$A$2:$I$9)/((Depth!$A$2:$I$100<>"")*(Depth!$A$2:$I$2=C3)),1),MATCH(C3,Depth!$A$2:$I$2,0))
C5:D5C5{=INDEX(Depth!$A$3:$I$9,MAX(IF(Depth!$A$2:$I$2=C3,IF(Depth!$A$3:$I$9<>"",ROW(Depth!$A$3:$I$9))))-1,MATCH(C3,Depth!$A$2:$I$2,0))}
C6:D6C6=INDEX(Depth!$A$2:$I$9,SUMPRODUCT(MAX((Depth!$A$2:$I$2=C3)*(Depth!$A$2:$I$9<>"")*(ROW(Depth!$A$2:$I$9)))),MATCH(C3,Depth!$A$2:$I$2))
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas surrounded with curly braces.

Upvote 0
.. and here it is again after a new row 1 has been added to 'Depth'

I don't have that problem in my file, I inserted several intermediate rows in the Depth sheet, I even deleted some rows and I don't have that problem that you mention.
Either way, I hope your formula works for the OP too ?

Upvote 0
Row 1 has the headings ?
My formula also has problems if the Depth sheet is deleted!

Upvote 0
I used the =LOOKUP(1E+307,INDEX(Depth!$A$1:$I$8,0,MATCH(C3,Depth!$A$1:$I$1,0))) to extract the last numerical value from the depth data columns and then I needed to display the last value in the same column if it contained text so I used the {=INDEX(Depth!$A$2:$I$8,MAX(IF(Depth!$A$1:$I$1=C3,IF(Depth!$A$2:$I$8<>"",ROW(Depth!$A$2:$I$8))))-1,MATCH(C3,Depth!$A$1:$I$1,0))}.
My sheet will always have the same header, although I had to mess around with the formula a bit because I have 3 rows containing date, time started, and time completed between the header row and the array.
The sheet is used to track how many times a steel pile is hit for every 250mm of embedment, each pile has a different length it needs to be driven and engineering needs to know many blows for the last 250mm. If the required blow count is not met, we go back 5 days later after it has set up and enter how much the pile moved in 10 hits into the very last column as "250mm" so the array formula pulls this data with text.
Sometimes it's nice to know what the effort is for! Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbone Mathonsi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back