Dynamic Lookup Help

waikikiguy

I am creating a waste management document for construction projects to give to our clients.

I have 4 boxes with headers: Landfill, Incinerated, Recycled, Reclaimed.
Below those boxes, the client will have to total up the receipts and put the amount in either tons or cubic yards of waste for each.

I have created a dynamic table log below these numbers as well for them to enter their waste tags (receipts) with additional boxes for them to put the amount, tons or cubic yards, purpose, etc.

The purpose box has a drop down box which lists: "Landfill","Incinerated","Recycled", & "Reclaimed"

What I'm having trouble with is Vlookup. I want the client to simply enter the tags into the Log Table at the bottom, and have it total in the upper boxes in their respective boxes in the upper section.

The challenge is that the LOOKUP Value is fixed (ie. "Landfill"), while the reference Table Array values can change. The column index number is fixed and the Range Lookup is Exact Match.

I keep getting #N/A or 0 in the box that I'm trying to get numbers into.

Please help!

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
I am not sure if I understood it, but if A1 - D1 is where you headers are, and A10 is where your Totals are (which keep going down as the values increase), then below mentioned formula should work. I am considering that the drop down list is in A12 just for the sake of making the formula. You need to change all references according to your need -

=VLOOKUP("Total",$A$1:$D9,MATCH(A12,$B$1:$D$1,0)+1,0)

Upvote 0
This didn't do the trick...

Let me give you what I have.

BCD11="Landfill", EFG11="Incinerated",HIJ11="Reclaimed",KLM11="Recycled"

B12:C13= Value for Landfill, E12:F13= Value for Incinerated, etc...

Headers:
AB21=Load Tag Date, CD21=From,EF21=Amount,GH21=Wt/Vol,IJ21=Purpose, KLM21=Notes

The Range I'm looking for is Amount Column, Wt/Vol Column, and Purpose Column (all 22-32 in individual rows)

The Purpose Column is a dropdown for the items listed at the top: Landfill, Incinerated, Reclaimed, and Recycled.

The Amount Column is where the client can put whatever amount they have on their receipt.

What I need this function do to is identify rows that have "Landfill" or any other item in it, read the number in the amount column of the same row, locate other items that have the same Purpose in them, add them together, and put the totals in the respective boxes in the second line of this post (B12:C13,E12:F13,H12:I13,K12:L13).

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back