Dynamic Range - Cell references changing in OFFSET function

happyrachael

Hi,

I'm working in Excel 2010. I'm trying to create a dynamic range, using the OFFSET function. I've got it working beautifully but as soon as I save it and close the Name Manager the range stops working. When I go back into Name Manager I find all the cell references have changed (from C1:C600 to C1048572:C595 - or some other strange range).

I don't seem to be clicking away while I'm in the Name Manager. I just can't work out what's happening. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Rachael

P.S. What it's doing isn't so important as when the cell references are right it works. But just for full info: It's an OFFSET function, starting at A1. It will look at a list of companies and use a Match function to find out how many rows to offset (based on where the first instance of a particular company. And it uses the COUNTIF to make the range the same number of rows as there are entries for that company.

Here is my broken function:
=OFFSET('Map Point'!A1048572,MATCH("Company Name",'Sheet Name'!C1048572:C595)-COUNTIF('Sheet Name'!C1048572:C595,"Company Name"),0,COUNTIF('Sheet Name'!C1048572:C595,"Company Name"))

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Or make C1:C600 a Dynamic Named Range

Name:= Company_Name

Refers to:=
='Sheet Name'!$C$1:INDEX('Sheet Name'!$C:$C,MATCH(REPT("z",255),'Sheet Name'!$C:$C,1))

Assuming that the company names are all text strings.

You might need to change $C$1 to $C$2 to allow for a header row.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back