Dynamic TabStop and TabIndex in 3-frame UserForm

boxxcar

Platform
  1. Windows
I am currently stumped trying to dynamically change the TabIndex and TabStop values for multiple Textboxes on my userform frmSalesEbay.

Why doesn't this code succeed?
There are Textboxes in three Frames, Frame1, Frame3, Frame4. Can this be an/the problem?

User clicks a CommandButton. Macro successfully adjusts which Textboxes are Visible = True/False and Enabled = True/False. Macro does not successfully adjust TabStop = True/False nor TabIndex = x.

If x = 1 Or x = 3 Or x > 4 And x < 20 Or x = 26 Or x = 30 Then

With frmSalesEbay.Controls("TextBox" & x)

.Visible = True

.Enabled = True

If x = 5 Then

.TabStop = True

.TabIndex = 0 (or appropriate digit for location on form)

End If

End With

End if

How can I dynamically change the TabStop and TabIndex values? I have found code snippets online and attempted to adapt them but without success yet.
This is one. It doesnt set TextBox30 TabIndex to zero.
Sub tabset()

'tabset

Dim i As Integer

For i = 1 To 30
If i = 30 Then
frmSalesEbay.Controls("TextBox" & i).TabIndex = i - 1
End If
Next i

End Sub

I have searched for, read and tried multiple "How to programmatically set TabIndex for UserForm Controls. None have worked for me.
Your guidance will be greatly appreciated

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Where is that code? In the Intialize or Activate event of the userform?
Take care about the order in which you adjust the TabIndex of different controls. It would be best if they were done in ascending order of desired Tab order.

Upvote 0
Neither. Its in the code for a CommandButton16_Click() on the UserForm frmSalesEbay.

Your question makes me suspicion I should have an Intialize or Activate event. The form has 5 CommandButtons and the code for each button visualizes the appropriate textboxes for that process. I want a different TabIndex scheme in the different processes and to set the TabStop = True for the visible textboxes.

What would the code look like in an intialize or Activate event? While I await your response I will read up on these two events. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
The code would look the same in any event.
Since the unneeded boxes are being made invisible, I would set the TabStop property to True in the Properties Window and design time and not change it.

Note that the TabOrder of a control is relative to the other controls in the same container (Userform,Page or Frame). So you may need to account for that in your coding.

It would be easiest if you could set the Tab order at design time, i.e. not by code. and then change the visibility and position of the needed controls to match your intended workflow.

Upvote 0
If you change the tab index on one control it can have a ripple effect, i.e. it will change the tab index of other controls.

What are you trying to achieve by changing the tab index of the controls 'dynamically'?

Upvote 0
This seems like it might meet my needs:
"
UserForm_Initialize gets called when the UserForm is instantiated.
Instead, put the commands you want into a public procedure in the UserForm code module:

....? so is this where I would put the code to visualize the desired Textboxes and to set TabStop = True
? for the first CommandButton

Public Sub ResetForm
' put stuff in here

? so is this where I would put to code to change the TabIndex and TabStop for the second CommandButton?

If you change the tab index on one control it can have a ripple effect, i.e. it will change the tab index of other controls.

What are you trying to achieve by changing the tab index of the controls 'dynamically'?

End Sub

Then if you need to reset the UserForm (let's assume it's named UserForm1), call the code this way from a regular module:

Sub Change()
UserForm1.ResetForm
End Sub

Upvote 0

The form will write data to 3 different worksheets depending on which CommandButton user clicks. 2/3s of the columns on each worksheet have the same column names. But the list of textboxes that need to be visible is different for each CommandButton. Therefore I want to make the appropriate Textboxes visible based on which CommandButton was clicked and set a different tab order so the movement of the cursor around the form will make sense to the user. And I want to make invisible the Textboxes not needed for the process and change the TabStop to False.

Upvote 0
How will setting the TabIndex property of a control change it's visibility?

If you want to show/hide controls use the Visible property.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THMarana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back