Dynamic updating field

burrin.p

Hi everyone;
I don't play with excel a lot but thought i'd ask if it was possible to have one field remain as dynamic / active no matter what 'other' field is clicked on / selected.
so, i have a times table that i made and i was thinking that it would also be good to have one field show / provide the square root of whatever other field was clicked on
so, if i clicked on the interection of 5 x 20 (100) then there would be another field say on the left or bottom that was designated as the square root and showed the answer 10 as the square root of 100 (10).
is there such a thing in excel as this sort of dynamic updating for one specific (or more) field ??
perhaps even just a mouse-over option instead of actually clicking on a field to show the square root in the other field.
Thank you,
peter

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Peter

Welcome to the MrExcel board!

See if this suits. My setup is shown below (result with cell C2 selected). You might want to test on a setup like this then adapt to your own.

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHI
1x12345Square Root
Result Based on Selection

Steps to implement:

1. Right click the sheet name tab and choose 'View Code'.

2. Copy the code below and Paste into the main right hand pane that opens at step 1.

3. Close the VB window and try selecting cells in (or out of) the table range.

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_SelectionChange(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> AC <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> AC = Range("H2") <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'<-- Answer cell</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Selection.Count > 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>        AC.ClearContents<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Intersect(Target, Range("B2:F6")) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>        AC.ClearContents<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>        AC.Value = Sqr(Target.Value)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Upvote 0
Thank you very much.
That worked perfectly.
I just changed the answer field and the range values and it was perfect right away.
Thank you ... now i'll have to go over it a little to see if i can understand what's going on in it.
Very much appreciated - have a young student i'm tutoring which is why I did the times table so it'll be a help to have the square roots right there too.
All the best,
Peter

Upvote 0
K ... so I thought that I would experiment and see if I could figure out how to do cube root also

I searched around and found a cuberoot formula for it and trial & errored my way into getting it to function.

here's what i have now (works with / without the "Dim BC As Range" statement:

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim AC As Range
Dim BC As Range

Set AC = Range("W3") '<-- SquareRoot Answer cell
Set BC = Range("X3") '<-- CubeRoot Answer cell
If Selection.Count > 1 Then
AC.ClearContents
BC.ClearContents
Exit Sub
End If
If Intersect(Target, Range("C3:V22")) Is Nothing Then
AC.ClearContents
BC.ClearContents
Else
AC.Value = Sqr(Target.Value)
BC.Value = Exp(Log(Target.Value) / 3#)
End If
End Sub

Could you look it over and see if you can spot any problems with it that I might not be aware of?

Thank you,
Peter

Upvote 0
Could you look it over and see if you can spot any problems with it that I might not be aware of?
Not a problem as such, but a bit simpler:
BC.Value = Target.Value ^ (1 / 3)

Upvote 0
Thank you very much - definitely simpler.
I appreciate your expertise.
I think it would be worthwhile for me to start to learn about VB as it seems to be a useful resource.
Could you / anyone suggest a good beginner resource to start studying / reading?
Thank you,
Peter

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back