Dynamic UserForms

adambc

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
There are a few posts that sort of relate to this, but I can’t find anything that addresses it directly?

I have a UserForm that has some static controls at the top and a “table”, with a header row using Labels and 5 columns (Date & Day using Lables, Enter1, Enter2 & Enter3 using TextBoxes) …

I’ve started to create Month specific UserForms, driven by another UserForm that opens when the Workbook opens which asks the User to select a Month from a ComboBox List …

But as well as having the correct number of “rows” (31, 30, or 28/29 for February) I need to match the Day to the Date (which will change year-on-year of course), add a BackColour to all the Controls that relate to Weekends and add some validation to the TextBoxes that relate to Weekends (Enter1 cannot have any value if it’s a Weekend) …

I can carry on doing that manually (I have created a 31 day version, which I’m then exporting/importing/editing to create the rest of the Months), but it is laborious and will need updating for each new year …

But I was thinking … could I “just” have some VBA code that creates the table (with all the formatting described above) that I could write once and know will survive the test of time?

Long shot I know, but the knowledge of the contributors to this forum never ceases to surprise me! …

Thanks …

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
You could use Frames.
Inside one frame, put all the textboxes and other controls for a single row. Get them the size and location you like.
Then make 30 copies of that Frame.

Then once you have your BaseDate you could write code like

VBA Code:
For i = 1 To 31
    With Userform1.Controls("Frame" & i)
        If (Format(BaseDate + i - 1, "ddd") = "Sat") or (Format(BaseDate + i - 1, "Sun")) Then
            .Controls(1).BackColor = vbYellow
        Else
            .Controls(1).BackColor = vbWhite
        End If

.Visible = (Month(BaseDate + i - 1) = Month(BaseDate))
    End With
Next i
Which sets the formatting of weekends different calculates where that row is needed (visible) for that BaseDate.

IF you are familiar with custom Classes, this would be a great use for custom objects.

Upvote 0
Solution
You could use Frames.
Inside one frame, put all the textboxes and other controls for a single row. Get them the size and location you like.

VBA Code:
For i = 1 To 31
        If (Format(BaseDate + i - 1, "ddd") = "Sat") or (Format(BaseDate + i - 1, "Sun")) Then
        Else
        End If

End With
Next i
Which sets the formatting of weekends different calculates where that row is needed (visible) for that BaseDate.

IF you are familiar with custom Classes, this would be a great use for custom objects.
Really like this but struggling setting BaseDate (through lack of knowledge!) - can you help please?

Upvote 0
You could use Frames.

VBA Code:
For i = 1 To 31
        Else
        End If

End With
Next i

Have got this working and like it
You could use Frames.

VBA Code:
For i = 1 To 31
        Else
        End If

End With
Next i

Quick follow up question ...

Can I change the number of a Control in the Frame eg .Controls(1).BackColor = vbYellow is applied to the fifth Control which is a TextBox as opposed to a Label ...

I want the Controls to run 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 as they appear in the frame ...

Or will I have to rebuild the Frame from scratch?

Thanks ...

Upvote 0
You can change the 1 to the index of the control of interest, but AFAIK the order within the Controls collection can not be changed. after the control is made.

Upvote 0
You can change the 1 to the index of the control of interest, but AFAIK the order within the Controls collection can not be changed. after the control is made.
That’s what I suspected, which causes a bit of fun copying/pasting Frames!

It doesn’t happen on every copy/paste, but on some the order of the Controls changes from 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 to 0, 1, 2, 4, 3 - so I’m having to test every copy/paste!!!

Apart from that, have now got everything working exactly as I wanted thanks to your original Reply (which I have marked as such) with a few tweaks …

THANK YOU …

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back