Dynamic Weighted Averages

Rick17

I have a powerpivot table with 2 years of data. I am trying to use a measure function in excel pivot tables to calculate a weighted average of revenue generated weighted by sales volume.

Ultimately My data is split into 4 fields
Sale Date Sales Method Sales Volume Sales Revenue.

I want to be able to change my date filter and have the weighted average sales revenue by sales method automatically recalculate.

I have been able to do this by setting up weights for each Sales revenue compared to the whole in powerpivot, and providing the weighted contribution that will later be summed in the pivot table. The problem is this cannot be filtered differently without changing the powerpivot formulas each time.

In Powerpivot I have a Total Sales By Source Column calculated as:
Calculate(SUM('Sales Data'[Sales Volume]),Filter(Filter(ALL('Salesdata'),'Sales Data'[Sales Method]=Earlier('Sales Data'[Sales Method])),'Sales Data'[Sales Date]>Date(2011,1,1)))

I then calculate the Weighted Revenue Contribution:
'Sales Data'[Sales Volume]/'Sales Data'[Total Sales By Source]*'Sales Data'[Sales Revenue]

This Weighted Revenue Contribution columns is automattically summed up in the pivot table providing me with a weighted average of each source over the period.

The problem is if i choose to change the period I have to change the formulas in powerpivot. Is there a way to accomplish the same thing using a measure or something else that would adjust the data based on the filters I apply in the Pivot Table?

Thanks,

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Thanks that is a good post and will be useful setting up the dynamic portion of the report. The part I couldn't find is how to set up the weighted average measure. The issue is the only way I have found to use powerpivot to create a weighted average is the method I posted about previously. The problem is this cannot change the periods over which the average is taken. If I attempt to apply any sort of filter after it, it will sum up the weighted contributions, but the weight at which they are calculated to is based on the hardcoded period.

Upvote 0
Hi Rick. Can you take another stab at explaining your desired formula for weighted average? Just in English, like "for the current selections, find the value Y for each foo, then multiply that value Y by value X for, then sum all those up" - something like that.

In the meantime, I have this intuitive hunch that the SUMX funtion will end up factoring into the solution:

http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2010/02/sumx-the-5-point-palm-exploding-fxn-technique/

Upvote 0
Ok so essentially what I need to do is take a dataset of 2 years and about 50k records and allow me to find a weighted average revenue value for each of the four sales methods. If I were to do this by hand I would do the Sumproduct of the Revenue and the volume and divide by the sum of the volume, but this needs to be specific to the term.

So in my powerpivot table I have set up helper columns. One calculates the sum total of the volume of all sales for the sales method over a given period, the next column takes the current row and divides it by the sum total column, this provides its weighted contribution to the sales. in the final column I multiply the weight times the revenue, this gives me the weighted revenue of that specific column. Then with the pivot table set to the same period, it adds up all these little pieces and the sum total is the weighted average.

Upvote 0
We worked out the final solution.

SUMX has a rough limitation, it cannot multiply 2 numbers with decimals together, so it truncates one. Depending upon your data size you may not be able to shift the decimal before performing the operation because it also has a limitation on how large of a multiplication result it can handle.

So, the solution is to add a new helper column in your source data to multiply each Wt Avg Row Item X its volume. In this case, Sales Volume x Sales Revenue. This can be hidden from your pivot table and will still allow you to use it in the new Measure you create.

You will need a measure to use for your Sum of your volume

[cVolume]=Sum('Table'[Sales Volume])

Create your measure "Wt Avg Revenue By Volume"

=SUMX('Table','Table'[HelperColumn])/Calculate('Table'[cVolume],ALLEXCEPT('Table',[Date],'Table'[Product],'Table'[Store]))

Your ALLEXCEPT function will allow you to dynamically filter by whatever criteria you enter. If you do not filter by that criteria it won't use it. So in the case above, I can dynamically change the filter in my pivot table for Date, or Product, or Store, or any combination of them and it will still correctly calculate the weighted avereage base on the same measure.

I have only done preliminary testing, but this appears to work perfectly in all cases I have tested so far. You can probably use SUM instead of SUMX in your Wt Avg calculation , but the formula started with the SUMX so I left it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back