Dynamic WorkSheet Reference

lehminh

Hi All,

I've been searching for the last 3 hours and had no luck. I am trying to dynamically return the largest value from another worksheet 2 range E2 to W2 that has the title in cell D1 or worksheet 1.

=MAX((INDIRECT("'"&D1&"'!"&"$E2:$W2")))

But the "$E2:$W2" makes it not dynamic, i.e. dragging the formula down rows, the result are the same. 2 doesn't auto increment up.

Basically, and if I move it out of the "" it looks at the range from E2:W2 from Worksheet 1 (not 2).

Please help.

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Lucida Grande'}span.s1 {color: #006107}span.s2 {color: #0057d6}</style>Try this

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Lucida Grande'}span.s1 {color: #006107}span.s2 {color: #ab30d6}span.s3 {color: #a54a29}span.s4 {color: #0057d6}</style>
=MAX(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROWS($A$1:A2),5,3,,$D$1)&":"&ADDRESS(ROWS($A$1:A2),23,3)))

or

=MAX(INDIRECT("'" & $D$1 & "'!$E" & ROWS($A$1:A2) & ":$W" & ROWS($A$1:A2)))

Upvote 0
Same issue, it still looks at the wrong workbook.

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Lucida Grande'}span.s1 {color: #006107}span.s2 {color: #0057d6}</style><style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Lucida Grande'}span.s1 {color: #006107}span.s2 {color: #ab30d6}span.s3 {color: #a54a29}span.s4 {color: #0057d6}</style>

Upvote 0
if you're looking to make it autofill 2,3,4, etc i think you'll need to create that sequence of numbers elsewhere and then refer to it.
insert a new column somewhere and in the first cell, enter =row() to give you an automatic 1,2,etc based on the row number. hide it if you'd like.

=MAX((INDIRECT("'"&D1&"'!"&"$E"&"(wherever your 2 is):$W"&"(wherever your 2 is)")))

Upvote 0
if you're looking to make it autofill 2,3,4, etc i think you'll need to create that sequence of numbers elsewhere and then refer to it.

That is exactly with ROWS($A$1:A2) does. counts the rows listed. A1:A2 is 2 rows. Drag it down and it becomes A1:A3... 3 rows.

This is a bit safer than just using ROW() because if your data ever moves up or down, the number won't change.

The formula I provided you will not look at any other workbook than the one you have provided for it in D1.

Do you have the correct workbook name in D1?

Also, I assumed that when you drag the formula down to look at rows E3:W3, E4:W4 etc you still want to use the sheet listed in D1... If you want it to look at D2 for E3:W3 and D3 for E4:W4 then just remove the two $ signs, before D and before 1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back