Dynamically expand table columns

andydtaylor

Office Version
  1. 2016
Hi,

Is there a way that I can make the last line of this Power Query statement dynamic? i.e. always expand all columns?

Code:
let

// Get path
    Pathparameter = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="sys_im_parameters"]}[Content],
    Pathparameter_value = Pathparameter{0}[Column1],

//main query

Source = Folder.Files(Pathparameter_value),
    #"Filtered Hidden Files1" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Attributes]?[Hidden]? <> true),
    #"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File from input_modules", each #"Transform File from input_modules"([Content])),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File from input_modules"}),
    #"Expanded Transform File from input_modules" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File from input_modules", {"Source", "Month", "Description", "Amount", "Source_WS", "Entity", "Value_type", "Route", "Active flag", "Type"}, {"Source", "Month", "Description", "Amount", "Source_WS", "Entity", "Value_type", "Route", "Active flag", "Type"})
in
    #"Expanded Transform File from input_modules"

Thanks,

Andy

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
You can use Table.ColumnNames function

So, without testing, the last two lines should be something like this:

Code:
ColNames = Table.ColumnNames( [COLOR=#333333]#"Removed Other Columns1"{0}[[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]Transform File from input_modules] )[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]
[/COLOR]#"Expanded Transform File from input_modules" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File from input_modules", [B]ColNames [/B])
in
#"Expanded Transform File from input_modules"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

If I can bug you for a little more of your time.

I have an issue in this scenario which is that I have a function which is compiling all of the source files in target folder which have a table called oExport. If appears to return a table of tables using the "Transform File from input_modules" function which is the 5th proper line down from the top.

Using the reference you proposed it reads the column names from the first table from this table of tables.

#"Removed Other Columns1"{0}[Transform File from input_modules]

The issue I have is that the column names are not uniform. between tables There is overlap but it's not 100% common and I'd like to have the flexibility. Is there another approach you can suggest?

Ultimately I would like to be able to drop any number of files with an o_Export table into my target folder and have my main model read these files tables without having to worry whether columns have been defined in the expandtablecolumn step. So even a list of unique columns from the first 3 tables would need the flexibility to include a 4th etc if present.

I really appreciate your time and insight

Thanks,

Andy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiz11713

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back