easiest way to link front-end/back-end workbooks?

merlin777

Office Version
  1. 2007
I have a large workbook into which 10 people are putting appointmnts on and off all day and they will need to leave the books open. They also use it view what appointments each other has added before adding their own.

Excel doesn't like shared multiple simultaneous users and I'm thinking I might have to use/learn access.

However, I wondered if this approach with excel is feasible.

Following the access approach of front end and back end databases, could I give each user a sheet to enter their data into and have one larger workbook compiling that data and turning it into reports they can view read-only? This larger workbook will also be used to compile and print timetables at the end of each week for the following week.

If so, what is the easiest way to bring that data from the individual data-entry sheets into the larger workbook? Is there a way to do this where the individual sheets don't need to be open? Is it as simple as referencing the smaller individual sheets' cells in the larger sheet?

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
your people can populate their own standalone spreadsheet and the master spreadsheet can pull in info, from that, if they look at the master before adding appointments they can avoid clashes....

Upvote 0
Use access, it's what it's for, don't try and hammer a square peg into a round hole ;) These things never really work smoothly - you'll have a much easier time of it using a database

Upvote 0
...I just need to learn Access, then. That's my evening sorted out. :LOL:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back