Easy inequality if/then statement...

Engineer Joe

For some reason, I can't seem to make this junk work...here's what i'm trying to do. I have to input values (A and B). I'd like make an if statement that operates only if the values of BOTH A and B were input (i.e. not skipped over. The input is done in a textbox in a userform. This if/then statement is also excecuted at commandbutton_click() by the way.) I thought that this would work, but it isn't

Code:
If Not (A ="" or B="") then
blah, blah blah

What is the best way to indicate that A is not equal to nothing or "" or has been defined????

thanksesseseseses

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.

Damon Ostrander

MrExcel MVP
Hi Engineer Joe,

It looks like your statement should work properly.

But I'm assuming that A and B are string variables that are set like this:

A = TextBox1.Text

and that the TextBoxes indeed are initialized with a null string. If initialized with any other string (even a single space, as in " "), you should test for that string. If for example, your textboxes were initialized with "(enter dollar value here)" then the test would become:

If Not (A ="(enter dollar value here)" Or B="(enter dollar value here)") Then

or equivalently

If A <> "(enter dollar value here)" Or B <> "(enter dollar value here)" Then

I hope this helps.

Damon

Engineer Joe

thanks...you won't believe this...but it's been so long since i've written any vba that i forgot the <> sign.... :unsure:

Damon Ostrander

MrExcel MVP
Hi again Joe,

I think I goofed on that last "or equivalently" code. The OR should have been an AND.

Damon

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rishu