Easy way to copy entire workbook without resaving

derekpegg

Board Regular
My workbook has developed a 'DDE error' when I try to merge to Word. After having a look around this forum and M$ Support, it seems pretty fatal.

I was wondering if there is a (relatively) easy way to create a identical workbook by copying all the data out easily. I have about 50 sheets inc graphs etc. I guess that simply copying all the sheets out would mean the errors are transferred to the new file?

Any ideas? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Looks like the "hard way" I am afraid. You will end up with a "clean" backup though.

Could try doing it bit by bit. Apart from the linked sheet, if you have any sheets containing controls from the Controls toolbar, start there.

Upvote 0
Thanks Brian. I tried copying all sheets to a new workbook, but the DDE link problem remained. I have been pulling my hair out trying to think of a way around this and have now identified the offending sheet. I then spend some time copying and pasting the info out of this sheet into a new sheet, but still the problem remains. I am now thinking I will have to type all the fomulae in from scratch on this sheet, unless you know of a better way.

Upvote 0
Don't think you actually have to type everything.
I usually start a new workbook and copy/paste formulas (includes values) then copy/paste formats. Then have to manually re-adjust column widths.
Need to add any named ranges though.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I have done some more investigating and have narrowed it down to 12 named ranges on this sheet. I need to delete ALL 12 named ranges for it to establish the DDE link. The ranges are all OFFSET ranges and produce two charts on seperate tabs. Do you have any ideas on this? I think I will post a new thread after doing a quick search on this. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back