Easy way to copy multiple columns

RichardNJ

Hello. I have been googling for a long time to find a simple answer to what I believe to be a simple question...no luck, so thought would try here.

Every month I have to download about 30 spreadsheets with several columns of info. I only need a few of the columns, so I need to copy 18 of them which are scattered throughout the whole sheet, and create a new spreadsheet with that info. It takes a very long time to do since I can only copy a few at a time then keep going back to the new sheet to paste...back and forth.

The columns I need are always the same letters, so is there some easy way to just enter in someplace the columns I need to copy them all at once?

This would seem like a simple and common thing to do that would save a ton of time, but I can't find an answer anywhere.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

By the way I use Excel X for mac

Thank you!
-Richard

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Welcome to MrExcel Board....

here is a sample of one way to do that

Code:
Sub copycolumns()
Range("B:B,F:F,J:J").Copy
Worksheets("Sheet2").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Richard

Which version for the Mac are you using? Is it 2008 because if so the following won't work because 2008 doesn't suppot VBA. Otherwise, just running the following script in the Immediate Window of the VBE (Alt+F11 to open, Ctrl+G to show the Immediate Window) will copy the specified columns to a new worksheet:

Code:
Range("A:C,G:H,P:Q,R:U,X:AB").Copy:Worksheets.Add:Range("A1").PasteSpecial

Upvote 0
Welcome to MrExcel Board....

here is a sample of one way to do that

Code:
Sub copycolumns()
Range("B:B,F:F,J:J").Copy
Worksheets("Sheet2").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
End Sub

Thanks so much for your assistance and suggestion, I apologize though for having VERY limited knowledge of excel.
What do I do with this code? Not sure where it gets placed.
And the I just change the letters in the range to the one's I need I assume?
Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Hi Richard

Which version for the Mac are you using? Is it 2008 because if so the following won't work because 2008 doesn't suppot VBA. Otherwise, just running the following script in the Immediate Window of the VBE (Alt+F11 to open, Ctrl+G to show the Immediate Window) will copy the specified columns to a new worksheet:

Code:
Range("A:C,G:H,P:Q,R:U,X:AB").Copy:Worksheets.Add:Range("A1").PasteSpecial

When I click on About Excel, I don't get a year in the box. It says Excel for mac v.X

When I do an Alt+F11, I get some boxes that pop open, but I am unsure where to enter this code. I'll see if I can figure it out though. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9Kimo3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back