Edit Huge CSV data file with misaligned columns, how to align columns, edit, and then return to original format??

MadiMills

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am working with a roughly 200 column, 1200 row sized spreadsheet of coding information I copy/pasted from a CAD programs clunky spreadsheet interface. The first 128 columns of data are aligned vertically with correct column headers -- then each row becomes misaligned by a factor of 8, 16, 24, 32, or 40 extra cells of data inserted depending on the particular row. I need a quick way to mass edit these misaligned columns of data, but ultimately need to retain the exact current formatting so that I can paste data back into CAD program. If I could "flip a switch" to line it up correctly, make my edits on correctly aligned column headers, and then "flip the switch" back to the original column format, that would be perfect.

I should say the only way I have found to identify how many extra columns cells have been added is the location of the rightmost cell on any given row.
Pictured:
1. A zoomed out snapshot of the data. You can see where text columns are aligned in the first 128 columns and when they begin to become mis-alinged.
2. A zoomed in shot - highlighted cells represent the same data type of data that should ideally all be in one column.

I appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks,
~ Madison M.

Attachments

• Zoom out.png
    Zoom out.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 25
  • sample.png
    sample.png
    47 KB · Views: 23

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Picture are nice but having a copy of your workbook is much better. You could post a copy to a cloud website and provide the link here.

Upvote 0
a small macro which checks row by row the number of elements, if they exceed 200, delete 8 succeeding commas after the 128th comma until you have 200 elements.
I hope you 'll never have 8 succeeding empty cells !!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back