edit this code please???

d0wnt0wn

i have a little snippet of code here that will save a file based on an address i type in c5 ..... is it possible to set it up so that if there is already an estimate of that address in there.... that an option pops up that will alow me to over write or save as address #2

Sub SaveActiveSheet()
On Error GoTo userC
ActiveSheet.Copy
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\estimates 05\" & [c5].Value & ".xls"
MsgBox "your worksheet has just been saved!"
ActiveWorkbook.Close
Exit Sub

userC:
MsgBox "There is a file with that name already, File Not Saved!"
Exit Sub

End Sub

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
d0wnt0wn said:
.... that an option pops up that will alow me to over write or save as address #2

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\Documents and

The SaveAs Method asks itself to overwrite if a file already exists. If you type No (to overwrite) the code generates an error, else the file will be overwritten and the code will flow to the end.

I suggest the following solution

Sub SaveActiveSheet()
Dim MyPrompt As String, MyTitle As String
Dim NewName As Variant

MyPrompt = "There is already a file with the name " & Range("C5") & ", File Not Saved!" _
& Chr(10) & Chr(10) & "Enter new Name"
MyTitle = "New File Name"
NewName = False
ActiveSheet.Copy
Label_SaveFile:
On Error GoTo userC
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\estimates 05\" & [c5].Value & ".xls
MsgBox "your worksheet has just been saved!"
ActiveWorkbook.Close
Exit Sub

userC:
While (NewName = False) Or (NewName = "")
NewName = Application.InputBox(prompt:=MyPrompt, Title:=MyTitle, Type:=2)
Wend
Range("C5") = NewName
GoTo Label_SaveFile
End Sub

Ciao :p :p

Upvote 0
chiello said:
Sub SaveActiveSheet()
NewName = False
ActiveSheet.Copy
userC:
End Sub

:) :rolleyes:

I think it is better if you place the statement NewName = False soon after userC Label, as follows:

Sub SaveActiveSheet()
'Not Here
ActiveSheet.Copy
userC:
NewName = False
End Sub

Upvote 0
hi... I have all inds of erros when trying to use that code...... when i click on my button that i have made for the macro a box pops up and says there is already a file with that name do i want to replace..... no matter what i click the box will not go away...... and no file gets saved to my folder....also i would like the user to be given the choice wether or not to over write the original or replace it..... now if i click on the button and there is a file with that name in the folder... the box pops up and i enter a new name and i get a run time error that points here.

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\estimates 05\" & [c5].Value & ".xls"

Upvote 0
Code:
Sub testIt()
    Dim FileName As Variant
    FileName = "g:\temp\" & Range("c5").Value & ".xls"
    FileName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(FileName)
    If TypeName(FileName) = "String" Then
        ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName
        End If
    End Sub
d0wnt0wn said:
i have a little snippet of code here that will save a file based on an address i type in c5 ..... is it possible to set it up so that if there is already an estimate of that address in there.... that an option pops up that will alow me to over write or save as address #2
{snip}

Upvote 0
not quite what i am looking for tush but thanks..... I want to save the active sheet only not the workbook and although the name in c5 did appear in the save as box the save as box's default save location was not right

Upvote 0
Get the name right. Unless you want me to change the first four letters of your nick to d-u-m-b.;)

Posting edited.

d0wnt0wn said:
not quite what i am looking for tush but thanks..... I want to save the active sheet only not the workbook and although the name in c5 did appear in the save as box the save as box's default save location was not right

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back