Editing a formula with the cell

Shelly68

Board Regular
Hi, presently if I want to edit the formula I have to go up to the formula bar to do it (for instance if I want to put a sum in there).

How can I set the sheet up so that all I do is type the = sign and it will work (without having to go click the tick in the formula bar)

Hope this makes sense!!

TIA

Shelly

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hi Shelly:

I am using EXCEL 97 with Windows XP, and I can write a formula starting with = sign in the cell or in the Formula Bar without having to Click the Tick left of the Formula Bar.

Upvote 0
I think I understand, but am not sure

If what you are trying to do is enter a formula; just select the cell that you wish to insert a formula in, then hit the "=" and type your formula. Is this what you are asking?

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Yes, that's exactly what I mean, (and of course it works on the excel version that we are using at work).

It's the one at home that doesn't work, if I type =2*5 (for eg.) it will leave it as that, it won't put 10. I can remember something from a couple of years ago that was in TOOLS, OPTIONS but I can't find it now. Something that you either ticked or unticked for 'calculate within cell'

I'm not sure which version we're using at home, I'll have a look later on and post (when I get home)

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Shelly

Maybe you have View Formulas on? Please try

Tools>Option>View, uncheck Formulas

Hope this helps
PGC

Upvote 0
Or

press the ~ key while holding the CTRL key -- this toggles between displaying the formulas and corresponding results.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back