Editing Drop-down Lists

AaronGee

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm creating a NFL bracket and I just got all of my drop downs put in and I want to make it so that each team appears with a particular font after it's been selected and put into the bracket. How would I go about doing this?

Second question, how would I make it so that each option in my drop downs comes with a statistic that I can then make the worksheet compare?
I guess the real question is how do I add functions and specifications to the options in my drop down lists?
Hope this makes sense, thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Not sure if custom font is possible outside of conditional Formatting... I will be interested if someone can solve that... if you want conditional formatting clarification just ask... I can walk you through it...

Re drop down triggers a formula...
If A2 is your dropdown...
In cell B2 =IF(A2="SF","GO NINERS!!!","")

Just a simple example of how a drop down can trigger a response... asking what you can do with it is kind of like saying... here is an egg... what can you do with it.... lots of options... depends on desired result

So... what do you want it to do... and if you can paste part of your sheet here, I would be happy to try and help you

Upvote 0
Not sure if custom font is possible outside of conditional Formatting... I will be interested if someone can solve that... if you want conditional formatting clarification just ask... I can walk you through it...

Re drop down triggers a formula...
If A2 is your dropdown...
In cell B2 =IF(A2="SF","GO NINERS!!!","")

Just a simple example of how a drop down can trigger a response... asking what you can do with it is kind of like saying... here is an egg... what can you do with it.... lots of options... depends on desired result

So... what do you want it to do... and if you can paste part of your sheet here, I would be happy to try and help you

So I've made the bracket so that each slot has a drop down with every team so that you can fill it in as you want or as the games are dictated. I have a second worksheet that contains the win percentages of each team, and a third worksheet that I'm trying to make compare the win percentages and configure the likelihood of one team winning over the other. What I want outside of the fonts, is for each of the 32 options in my drop-down list to be connected to the data in my worksheet that I want to have computing probabilities. That way the bracket can fill itself out to give you a possible season outcome, based off of the way the teams are inserted into the bracket.

Upvote 0
Well, pulling the win percentage from the second sheet is easy... take my Go Niners formula but replace the "GO NINERS!!!" part with
vlookup(A2,<range on second sheet like sheet2!$A$1:$B$36>,2<assuming the second column of said range holds your desired value>,false)

As far as calculating win probabilities... I am sure every sports better in the world wants that calculation... I dont have it or quite know where to start

Upvote 0
Well, pulling the win percentage from the second sheet is easy... take my Go Niners formula but replace the "GO NINERS!!!" part with
vlookup(A2,<range on second sheet like sheet2!$A$1:$B$36>,2<assuming the second column of said range holds your desired value>,false)

As far as calculating win probabilities... I am sure every sports better in the world wants that calculation... I dont have it or quite know where to start

I'm very new to excel so I am trying to share my workbook with you here. I've been experimenting with the VLOOKUP but i cant get it to work for one cell. Or am I wanting to have each cell connected to the whole range and then pulling specifics from it?

Upvote 0

Haha, you're absolutely right. I'm only trying to find a formula that will take the win percentage from each team, and figure out the likelihood of of one team winning over the other. In the picture of my chart, I want to assign each team a percentage so that i can fill in the chart by simply entering this formula using the team names. For example. I want to assign A33 the value of 79%, but I want it to display as the 49'ers. Then I could take A33 and lets say E2 and use the formula to figure out the percentage chance the 49'ers have against the cardinals.

Attachments

• forum 1.JPG
    forum 1.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 12
  • forum 2.JPG
    forum 2.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 10
  • forum 3.JPG
    forum 3.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back