efficient 3 column search !? please help!

ewat

hi guys,

ive gotten some code to do a 3column search (ie. finding columns by matchign 3 pieces of data given)..but its a bit brute-force like - it finds the first bit, then matches the other 2...so records on the bottom will take the longest in a way

anyway..my excel sheet is around 30k rows long, so this isn't very efficient =( is there a smart way to do this? (all in vba btw)...i was thinking of maybe having a sorted column somehow?

any help greatly appreciated

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
first thoughts would be to produce a unique key in another column based on what you are searching on, for instance using a concatenation of the key elements, eg Name+Init+MidInit. Then hit this column for the search if the criteria is known

Upvote 0
wow thats a really good idea!

but, how does an autofilter speed it up?

if i concatenate everything ...ill still hve say 20k columns wont i that it will compare to?
and the last row will still take ages to search down to?

(or is the seearch a bit smarter than this)

Upvote 0
Not with an autofilter. It'll return all of the matching data and hide the residual. Now use the special cells method -> XL visible for whatever you're contemplating doing. ;)

Upvote 0
oh?> you can code vba to autofilter!?

basically iknow what i WANT to find, its just a matter of finding it as fast as possible somehow ;)

Upvote 0
ah!

ok ive got it sort of filtering the columns i want it to filter
but now now do i do some kinda work on it (im quite the vba newbie btw ;)..i.e. the search? all i need to do is match 3 elements (tcode, state and scode and then insert some data in tha trow)

my code now is kind of:
Sub insertion(ByVal tcode As String, ByVal scode As String, ByVal state As String, ByVal ltype As String)
Dim rFoundIt As Range

'filter what we want first
With Sheet2
Set rFoundIt = .Cells(1, 1)
rFoundIt.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=state
rFoundIt.AutoFilter Field:=2, Criteria1:=tcode
End With

' search stuff here with visible rows
End Sub

Upvote 0
Well, concatenate your three cells into one, in a single column. Then filter on this. You'll want a string in quotes. :)

Upvote 0
oh ;P

ok how do i 'work' with my results tho (i.e. say the autofilter has given me 1 row left...) if this 'sheet 2' isnt my main one im looking at..how can i play around with it ;\

*sorry im really hopeless at explaining this*

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back