Either/Or to help calculate peak equity

honkin

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. MacOS
I have a sheet which keep track of P&L for horse racing and am just struggling to be able to accurately calculate what is known as Peak Equity. It is basically just the highest the bank has been

The formula I have is a simple one and it is located in column DA

=AGGREGATE(4,5,$CZ$21:CZ22)

This formula just gives me the Max of column CZ, which is calculating the current bank. Everything works fine except when the first row is a loser. The reason for this is the starting bank of 10,000, which is in CR4. The formula in CZ correctly adds that value to the current profit, so it is totalling profit and starting bank. The value in DA should never be below the starting bank, as it is showing max.

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
CZ22:CZ34CZ22=AGGREGATE(9,5,$AF$21:AF22)+$CR$4
DA22:DA34DA22=AGGREGATE(4,5,$CZ$21:CZ22)
DB22DB22=CZ22-DA22
DC22:DC34DC22=IF(DB22<>"",-DB22/DA22,"")
DB23:DB34DB23=IF(CZ23<N(DA23),CZ23-DA22,"")

So how is it possible for that calculation in DA to have an either or statement, where if the value in CZ is >= CR4, then use that value, but if the value in CZ is below CR4, then use CR4

Does that make sense?

The bottom line is the value in DA can never be below the starting bank in CR4

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Based on your description, I would suggest replacing the DA22 formula with:
Excel Formula:
=MAX(MAX(CZ$22:CZ22),$CR$4)
...and pull down. Note the internal MAX function considers the range beginning at $CZ$22, not $CZ$21 (which is a column heading). MAX in this case should work fine and is simpler to follow than AGGREGATE(4...
So the internal MAX function determines the maximum value achieved in the CZ column, and then that value is fed into another comparison with $CR$4 (starting bank) to return the maximum of those two values.

Upvote 0
Based on your description, I would suggest replacing the DA22 formula with:
Excel Formula:
=MAX(MAX(CZ$22:CZ22),$CR$4)
...and pull down. Note the internal MAX function considers the range beginning at $CZ$22, not $CZ$21 (which is a column heading). MAX in this case should work fine and is simpler to follow than AGGREGATE(4...
So the internal MAX function determines the maximum value achieved in the CZ column, and then that value is fed into another comparison with $CR$4 (starting bank) to return the maximum of those two values.
cheers KRice and thanks for your reply

The downside of this is it needs to work on autofiltered data as well, which was why the original aggregate function in DA22 had 4,5 in it.

I have tried different combos of your formula, but using aggregate, but to no avail. Well, I can get a response using the following

Excel Formula:
=MAX(AGGREGATE(4,5,CZ$22:CZ22),$CR$4)

But the internal Max function will always be looking at all rows, which could end up with incorrect data in DA, if that makes sense. It certainly gives the response of 10,000 in DA22, which is correct, but I think the point is still valid.

Any thoughts on the same thing, but to work on filtered data?

Upvote 0
Oh...that explains why AGGREGATE was used. Is your point really valid about autofiltering potentially causing incorrect results in DA if you go with
Excel Formula:
I don't see an issue there. The internal AGGREGATE function is still working as it did originally and it returns just one value. The outer MAX function then compares AGGREGATE's max to $CR$4...so the MAX function is not looking at any filtered rows. It looks only at two values: one that ignores the filtered rows (due to AGGREGATE) and $CR$4. I haven't confirmed AGGREGATE will work that way with autofilter and the 4,5 options, but you may want to investigate if you are not certain.

Upvote 0
Solution
Oh...that explains why AGGREGATE was used. Is your point really valid about autofiltering potentially causing incorrect results in DA if you go with
Excel Formula:
I don't see an issue there. The internal AGGREGATE function is still working as it did originally and it returns just one value. The outer MAX function then compares AGGREGATE's max to $CR$4...so the MAX function is not looking at any filtered rows. It looks only at two values: one that ignores the filtered rows (due to AGGREGATE) and $CR$4. I haven't confirmed AGGREGATE will work that way with autofilter and the 4,5 options, but you may want to investigate if you are not certain.
Cheers KRice. Kind of makes sense. I thought it would be doing Max of the entire CZ column rather than just the Max of the result of the Aggregate function and $CR$4

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Post back if you encounter any surprises, but I think MAX(AGGREGATE should work fine.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back