Embedded formulas

bclaredal

Board Regular
I've got an interesting one that I hope someone can help me with.

I have a spreadsheet with two drop-down lists and two cells to fill in and this populates data in a table so that a journal entry can be entered into the accounting software.

The drop-down lists consist of the following:
1. Type = Annual or Prorated
2. Month = months of the year showing first three letters of the month

I have figured out how to calculate the prorated amount per month but I am struggling on how to calculate the annual amount. The annual amount depends on what month is selected in the month drop-down list, and of course annual being selected in the Type drop-down list. For each account that I have listed in column B, if annual is selected, and say for example JUL (July) is selected in the month, I want everything from April to July included in July's data and all other month's going forward to have their prorated amount.

Here's an example for you:

If the data was stating the following for each month: April = 1, May = 2, June = 3, etc. until March = 12. If I select July in the month drop-down list, I would want July's data total to be 10 (1+2+3+4) and August to March to show their correct amounts (i.e., 5 to 12).

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this. The solution can be macro or formula generated, I have no preference.

Let me know if you require further information.

Thanks for you help!!!

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Would this work?

Assuming you put this data in cells A1:B12

April1
May2
June3
July4
August5
September6
October7
November8
December9
January10
February11
March12

<COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" span=2 width=64><TBODY>
</TBODY>

Then enter this formula to work off your drop down

=SUM($B$1:INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH(F4,A:A,0),2)))

Just change F4 for whatever your drop down is...........

This will give you a cumulative total, based on April being 1, May being 2 etc

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I fully understand, you could create a formula that does the following:
If a month is before the selected month, then 0
If a month is the selected month, then sum of that month and all previous months (until April)
If a month is after the selected month, then just the amount ofthat month

Code:
=IF(A1<'Month selection cell',0,IF(A1='Month selection cell',SUM(OFFSET(B1,-A1,0,A1+1,1)),B1))

where A1 (and down) is the month number;
B1 is the amount for that month; and
'Month selection cell' is the cell with the selected month (in this case 4, July)

Upvote 0
Could you transpose your tables and do it that way? I have the months laid out across column headings rather than rows and am trying to adjust your formulas for this difference but am having troubles.

Upvote 0
I want the formula to be in the cells where the data is because the data is already driven by another formula that is multiplying two numbers together.

I have this formula in there already:
=ROUND(IF($D$4="Prorated",$F13*SUMIF('Prorate List'!$B:$B,'Input (3)'!$D13,'Prorate List'!C:C),0),2)

Where:
D4 = Type drop-down (Prorated or Annual)
F13 = Annual hours
the sumif is looking up a percentage in a table
I have the false argument in the if statement set to zero because that is where the annual formula would go, or conversely, if I used the annual formula first then the prorated formula could go in the false, which come to think of it might be easier.

Upvote 0
It's very difficult to see what you're trying to do without any data........But here is a transposed version of what I posted

=SUM($A$2:INDIRECT(ADDRESS(2,MATCH(F4,A1:L1,0))))

Assuming Months are in A1:L1
numbers 1 to 12 are in A2:L2

F4 is your drop down

Upvote 0
I can't post files yet... hopefully that will be unlocked at some point... but if you pm me your email I could send you the file I am working with.

Upvote 0
Hi Brian,

I have returned the workbook to you.......Let me know if it works for you.

Cheers
Chris

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back