Embedded Objects make the file large

blueturtle

Hello there

I've created one of those picture quizzes in Excel (in my lunch hour!) where you type in your answer and it tells you if you are correct or not. I have embedded 100 bmp images. The file is now 46MB, takes a while to save and I can't email it to anyone (the network rejects it).

Have I created a monster?

Does anyone know about embeding objects and what to do about the file size please? Come to think of it, I've actually copied and pasted most of the images in, and then re-sized them. Is this where I have gone wrong?

Thank you in anticipation.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Consider replacing uncompressed BMPs with compressed JPGs or GIFs or PNGs.

You may also want to create links to the pictures. Or create a single shape (from the Drawing toolbar) and change that shape's UserPicture property through VBA. Of course, if you use links the combination of the standalone images and the XL file will be huge unless you reduce the size of each image. Effectively, you are back at para 1 above.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your help. I've just re-saved one image as a jpeg and the file size went from 106kb to 8kb. So I thinks that's my manswer. Again, thanks.

Upvote 0
You are welcome.

If you use JPG make sure that the compression does not degrade the quality of the image. JPG can compress a file to a smaller or larger degree and the greater the compression the more degraded the final image.

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone, I could use some help on this topic.

When I insert a 57K .jpg file into an excel sheet via going insert->picture->from file it blows the size of an empty excel workbook up from 18K to 1.7megs. Any ideas on what might be causing this? I've tried using the picture options compress thing within excel but it doesn't really do much to reduce the size. 1.7 megs down to 1.65.

I'm using excell 2003.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinusJE

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back