Empty Spreadsheet is very large

thehalfboy

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey all, I hope someone can advise on a problem I'm seeing with a spreadsheet. We have data validation lists set up in two cells, but other than that and a row of headers, the file is completely empty. However the file size is large, and if I perform "go to last cell" it drops me right down to the bottom of the spreadsheet, so it seems that excel thinks there is data where it should be blank. I've tried highlighting all cells and hitting delete, and trying "Clear Contents" but neither seems to have an effect. Does anybody have any clues how I can fix this?

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Welcome to the Board!

Did you happen to apply the Data Validation to the entire column (instead of just selected cells)?
Or did you apply any other formatting to an entire column?

Upvote 0
Thank you, I think the validation might have been applied to every cell in the column, but even if I remove the data validation completely, I can't clear out the "empty" data.

Upvote 0
Thank you, I think the validation might have been applied to every cell in the column, but even if I remove the data validation completely, I can't clear out the "empty" data.
Try deleting those columns entirely.
Then re-save the file (you may need to do this step for it to "reset" the last cell).
Then hit CTRL+END, and see which cell it selects.

Does it go down to the last row on the sheet?
If so, what cell address does it go to?

Make sure that you do not have any formatting or formulas in all cells in any of the other columns.

Upvote 0
I deleted out every column we'd set up entirely, so there should be nothing there at all, and CTRL + END takes me to H1048576.

If having the data validation down a full column has caused this, how would you set up a form for inexperienced users to use, so that you can limit their options for filling in some cells? If it's not applied to the entire column, won't there come a point where the user can go back to free text?

Upvote 0
I deleted out every column we'd set up entirely, so there should be nothing there at all, and CTRL + END takes me to H1048576.
I don't know what you did, but it may be best to start fresh in a new workbook.

If having the data validation down a full column has caused this, how would you set up a form for inexperienced users to use, so that you can limit their options for filling in some cells? If it's not applied to the entire column, won't there come a point where the user can go back to free text?
Here is how I would approach it.
Determine the maximum number of rows that may be used (could be 100, could be 1000, whatever - just pick some number that they will never hit).
Then apply the Data Validation down to that row.

Then, use Cell Lock and Cell Protection to lock all rows under that, so they are unable to enter any data below that row.
By default, all the cells are locked. So you will just want to unlock the ones in your editable range, and then apply Sheet protection (locking the cells does nothing until the sheet is protected).
See: How to lock cells in Excel

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
Glad I was able to help!
:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back