Emulating the search facility on Google

TheJay

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a workbook that searches multiple worksheets and then pastes the matching rows into the first sheet after clicking a button to bring up a search box.

Buttons in Excel are stupidly ugly and it's amazing how many people don't even realise it's a button, things have moved on a lot since the very outdated controls were drawn. It would be much better if I could introduce a much more recognised way of searching instead.

The Google search lost it's search button a LONG time ago. So, can we do the same in Excel and have a search bar on the worksheet instead? When the user enters text and taps enter, it brings back the results just like Google. Even better, having a hover over transition, which produces a shadow. The search term remains in the box at all times.

gHSBhOx.png

Has anyone tried to implement this?

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
This is not an official answer (so I hope the mods won't mind), but yes, I actually tried to simulate Google's search engine about 2 years ago. (The search engine itself, not what it searches.)

A lot of weird things happened with the interactions of the user form (the way Microsoft designed how certain triggers trigger each other is mind boggling!) But to answer your question slightly, the way I approached it is have 10 nearly overlapping command buttons so that when you type something, each of them gets a word in the related words list.

[video removed]

I hope to resume the project someday, but it was (as you can see in the video) for being able to search saved content on your personal computer. (Large textbooks, bible-long texts, etc.) And even YouTube video transcripts, etc.

But as far as searching the web part of it, I have no experience with that. I can download data with VBA (like everyone else who simply looks up a function to do that), but not an actual internet search engine.

I hope that gives you (and others) ideas! And hopefully someone can give insight for the web search aspect!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply, it's essentially the interface and functionality I am interested in, my workbook already searches the relevant sheets in my workbook.

Type the searchword or phrase, hit enter to start the search without clicking a button.

I never needed to search local drives or the internet.

Upvote 0
my workbook already searches the relevant sheets in my workbook
That was exactly the case for me too, and I wanted to have the functionality. But just for clarity of future viewers, is what I show in the (unlisted) video along the lines as what you want? If not, the more details you give, the more likely you will get a reply.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back