"Enable Load" or "Enable Load and Refresh" as method of not refreshing historical data

gazmoz17

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have a large table...(which at the moment is only a static table) of historical data accross multiple year ends(sheet name "MASTER". Currently I'm exporting a report from accountancy software & copy/pasting data incrementally from export into MASTER . Each row is invoice data, 1 row per each invoice. I've now connected accountancy software to power query with ODBC.

This has always been the method but now Ive learnt power query (a little bit 🤣) it would make sense to use power query. Especially as sometimes invoice data changes in accountancy system after I've exported my report.

However, if I convert MASTER into a query I dont wish prior year invoice details to refresh:

1. Might slow performance....only need to pull through last weeks data (amend every week triggered by reciept of Transport costing each week on email, I'll tie that in later).
2. *Main reason...accs system cant account for"COST PRICE" in context of date. Only current cost price, therefore, if refreshed all my historical invoice profitability figure would change as would recalculate inv item cost prices based upon current cost prices rather than what they were in 2019 etc. This one field is the only reason other than speed why I dont want the query to refresh historical.

I was going to leave my MASTER and create a new sheet which would pull in next incremantal invoice from invoice number parmater (which can ref from last invoice number from MASTER). Bring through new invoices to add then create a macro button to copy and paste these to the bottom of my historical sheet. But wanted to know if there was a better way?

Frequency (weekly) of these updates is triggered by receipt of an excel from Transport company. I need to do a lookup from this excel to my Historical so I can allocate Transport charges to each individual invoice in MASTER to give me a true net profit per invoice figure. Such transport charges arent recorded in the accountancy system. I have helper columns in the MASTER to lookup Transport charges.

Formatting Transport charges

Used to take a while as need to extract my lookup value which is 2 refs combined in the same cell. Therefore, I created a macro to do this. Not sure if could merge this Transport excel into an overall query and speed this process up as well.

Many Thanks
Gareth

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Trigger to start process= Transport company emailing me there weekly charges.

Transform invoice with VBA (Creates sperate sheet and extracts vlookup reference).

Park that sheet for now.

Access MASTER sheet and note down last invoice number.

Export manual accountancy report into excel. Then copy and paste into MASTER.

Perform lookup in helper column
1674747517581.png

Paste as values into Col O which produces my Net profit figure after transport charges
1674747579856.png

Clear out all of Col P so I have a clean helper column to restart the process.

Upvote 0
I might be asking a lot for someone to look at this as its porb basic & boring for most forum users.....but how do I post the actual excel files please? Increase the chance of someone taking a look at this.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vmanchoppy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back