Enable PowerPoint VBA Reference using VBA

James_Latimer

Excel 2003

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to enable the powerpoint vba reference using vba coding (regardless of version).

I've had a look around but i cant seem to see anything that enables me to do that.

Many thanks to anyone who can help. cheers.

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
This code works on 2010 and 2000 you could add the scripts from other versions by going into the editor and click on the Powerpoint reference to find out file location.

Code:
Public Sub AddPPT()
        On Error Resume Next
      Application.VBE.ActiveVBProject.References.AddFromFile "C:\Program Files (X86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSPPT.OLB"

Application.VBE.ActiveVBProject.References.AddFromFile "C:\Program Files\Microsoft OfficeXP\Office10\MSPPT.OLB"
    End Sub

End Sub

Upvote 0
I use the following for scripting runtime in my addin file, you can look up GUID references to find the powerpoint reference that way if the reference is already selected as reference you won't get an error.

Code:
Sub AddRuntimeLibrary()
  On Error Resume Next
  Application.VBE.ActiveVBProject.References.AddFromFile "C:\WINDOWS\system32\scrrun.dll"
Const imgFileName = "PrintIcon"
    Const GUIDRef = "{0002E157-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"  'MS VBA EXTENSIBILITY 5.3 GUID
    Set PrntIcon = Application.CommandBars.FindControl(ID:=4)

On Error Resume Next  'Ignore Error If Reference Already Established

ThisWorkbook.VBProject.References.AddFromGuid GUIDRef, 5, 3
On Error Resume Next
      Application.VBE.ActiveVBProject.References.AddFromFile "C:\WINDOWS\system32\scrrun.dll"
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for looking at this. I apologise but i dont really know much about this! Could you dumb it down for me please?

how do i find out what GUID the powerpoint reference has? what effect will adding in scrrun.dll have? ive had a very quick read as i dont know what scrrun.dll is and its said that this is cpu intensive.

Also what is the reason for adding scrrun.dll twice in the code?

Thanks again and i apologise if im asking stupid questions. i appreciate your help.

Upvote 0
The second code I gave you was one that I use for scripting runtime, it is vital to running many scripts and therefore I have my addin make sure that it is installed, it isn't used for the PPT installation, just an example.

If you google GUID references it gives you the codes so that you can modify the script to be for powerpoint rather than for scripting runtime, you then just change the script to be what you want it to be.

It doesn't install it twice, it checks to see if it is installed and if not then it adds it.

I am logging off now but if I have time later I will look into the reference for it and let you know, if you can't sort it out before then.

Upvote 0
OK, these scripts will work for 2000 and 2010 not tested on 2003 or 2007.

You can add the script into your workbook open event.

Code:
Sub AddPPT2010()
  On Error Resume Next
  Application.VBE.ActiveVBProject.References.AddFromFile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSPPT.OLB"
    Const GUIDRef = "{91493440-5A91-11CF-8700-00AA0060263B}"

ThisWorkbook.VBProject.References.AddFromGuid GUIDRef, 2, 10
On Error Resume Next
      Application.VBE.ActiveVBProject.References.AddFromFile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSPPT.OLB"
Call addPPT2000
End Sub
Sub addPPT2000()
 On Error Resume Next

ThisWorkbook.VBProject.References.AddFromGuid GUIDRef, 2, 7
On Error Resume Next

End Sub

Upvote 0
I just realised that I didn't modify the 2nd script properly, however it still works.

I had the folder reference wrong.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSPPT.OLB"

Code:
Sub addPPT2000()
 On Error Resume Next
  Application.VBE.ActiveVBProject.References.AddFromFile "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office10\MSO.DLL"

ThisWorkbook.VBProject.References.AddFromGuid GUIDRef, 2, 7
On Error Resume Next
      Application.VBE.ActiveVBProject.References.AddFromFile "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office10\MSO.DLL"

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back