Enter current date by double click in one column; enter current time by double click in two other columns

nancylynn718

Hello,I am very new to VBA and I have basic knowledge of Excel. I have been doing some research and reading up on how to use codes in the VBA but I've run into some issues. I would like to enter the current date by double clicking cells within column A (A3:A1000). I would then like to enter the current time by double clicking cells within columns B (B3:B1000) and F (F3:F10000). I tried to combine the two codes in one but the program would not allow it. As of right now, this is the code I am using for the current time entered on double click:Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)Dim MyRange As RangeDim IntersectRange As RangeSet MyRange = Application.Union( _ ActiveSheet.Range("B3:B1000"), _ ActiveSheet.Range("F3:F1000"))Set IntersectRange = Intersect(Target, MyRange)On Error GoTo SkipItIf IntersectRange Is Nothing ThenExit SubElseActiveSheet.UnprotectApplication.ScreenUpdating = FalseTarget = Format(Now, "ttttt")ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True, Scenarios:=TrueActiveSheet.EnableSelection = xllockedCellsEnd IfActiveSheet.UnprotectRows("1:3").SelectRange("1:3,A4:E65536").SelectRange("1:3,A4:E65536,G4:IV65536").SelectSelection.Locked = FalseSelection.FormulaHidden = FalseActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=False, Contents:=True, Scenarios:= _FalseActiveCell.Offset(, 1).SelectSkipIt:Exit SubEnd SubThe second portion of the code is in place because I was having some issues using the filters. Can anyone help me and let me know how to add to this code so I can add the current date by double clicking cells in column A (A3:A1000)? Thank you for your assistance.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Your code is all but unreadable in the form that you posted it. However, taking a guess at what you want, see if this code does what you want...
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
  If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A3:A1000")) Is Nothing Then
    Target.Value = Date
    Cancel = True
  ElseIf Not Intersect(Target, Range("B3:A1000,F3:F1000")) Is Nothing Then
    Target.Value = Time
    Cancel = True
  End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Yes, my apologies. I don't know how to insert line breaks in this forum. Perhaps if you tell me how to copy/paste the coding as to include the line breaks, it may read better. The code you provided works just not with the current code I have in place. When I try to put two codes in the VBA, an error message pops up that reads: Ambiguous Name Detected. The issue at hand is joining the two codes. Please advise. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Yes, my apologies. I don't know how to insert line breaks in this forum. Perhaps if you tell me how to copy/paste the coding as to include the line breaks, it may read better. The code you provided works just not with the current code I have in place. When I try to put two codes in the VBA, an error message pops up that reads: Ambiguous Name Detected. The issue at hand is joining the two codes. Please advise. Thank you.
You can only have one event procedure for a given event (double click in this case) per worksheet. What needs to be done is the code I posted has to be integrated with your existing code (mnus anything your existing code does for ranges A3:A1000, B3:B1000 and F3:F1000. If you need help integrating what I posted into what you current have, post your current BeforeDoubleClick event code using code tags as shown below...

[code]

<< Copy/paste your existing code here >>

[/code]

Upvote 0
Hello!I ended up deleting all coding I originally started with and pasted your coding. It seems to be working perfectly! This is exactly what I needed. Thank you for your help, and thank you for showing me how to input codes into this forum!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back