Enter data into rows based on values in another column?

Leah1900

Hi,
I am creating a summary of temperatures logged every hour for three years at several different locations. I am summarizing by the hour (row headings) and location (column headings). The problem is, some locations only logged temperatures every two hours, while some logged every hour. When I add data from locations where the temperature was only logged every two hours, I basically need to leave a blank between every temperature measurement so that the times line-up with the data which was logged every hour. The only way I know to do this is to copy-paste the temperature data into my summary sheet and then manually move it down, leaving blanks for every second row. This would take forever, as I have a lot of data. Is there a way to make excel join data from two workbooks, based on shared values in one column (in this case, hourly times)?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hi Leah,

I think this can be achieved with VBA.

Can you give us a sample of the data (as it exists) and what you want it to look like, after. (Click "Go Advance" down on the bottom right of your reply window and use the table function on the 3rd row. It will allow us a clearer layout of your data.)

Is each location on a separate sheet? Do you have any issues with manipulating the data before it is merged/copied over etc? What are the name/s of the sheets we need to look at? What columns are your data in?

FarmerScott

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutchie_1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back