Entering "+12345" values "as is"

wisekat

I have a column in which I need to enter values starting with "+" followed by some numbers. I formatted this column as text (applied the Text format in the Format Cells dialog for the whole column). When I enter a value in an empty cell, all is ok _ I see it "as is". However, if I try to enter a new value in a cell that had a value, my value is converted to a numeric representation in the exponential format. For instance, if I enter "+44100055555", I see "4.41E+10" in the cell and "44100055555" in the formula bar when I select this cell.
To save the value "as is", I need to preface it with " ' " ("'+44100055555"). Is there a way to avoid using this special character and enter required cell values "as is"?

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
A custom format for text data? Will it work for other cell value templates? What, if they do not start with "+"?

BTW, I have managed to overcome the problem in the cells with existing values using copy/paste. I entered the required value in a new cell and then did cut/paste to the cell that had value. This helps. It seems, the problem is related to the " ' " charcater.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back