Entire workbook grayed out

rkesmodel

I have a workbook with multiple worksheets. I was working in it a week ago and everything was fine. I opened it today and the entire workbook, including all of the menus, is grayed out. Where the cells would be is just a big gray blank, no borders, no cells, no numbers. Even in the File menu, everything except New, Open, Account, and Options is grayed out. The file size in File Manager is 377 KB so something is still there. I can open other Excel files just fine.
How can I get everything back?

Thanks for any assistance.

Windows 10, Excel 2016

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Just a quick search on Google - I'm not an expert on technical issues, but it looks as though this might be worth a try:

With the file open, select View, Arrange all and tick the box that says "Windows of active workbook". If it works, Save the workbook. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Just a quick search on Google - I'm not an expert on technical issues, but it looks as though this might be worth a try:

With the file open, select View, Arrange all and tick the box that says "Windows of active workbook". If it works, Save the workbook. Good luck!

ClaireS,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately ALL menus are grayed out.

UPDATE!! WOW, ClaireS, although your suggestion did not work, it led me to the solution. While taking a more detailed look at the View menu I noticed that the Macros choice was not grayed out. That didn't help. However, I continued with the second look and noticed the only other not grayed choice ... UNHIDE D'OH

Fixed it right up. Somehow, I must have pressed the Hide button right before saving.

Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
I'm glad you were able to get this sorted - well done for persevering!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back