Error 400 if macro attempted to run from ribbon with host file closed

GaryAitch

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Strange error400 message when any macro is triggered from the ribbon unless the file hosting the code is already open. Only occurring on 2 PC's out of 8 all running office 365 32 bit with Windows10 Pro. Online research mentions perhaps missing registry files or disabling add-ins but I have failed thus far to find the cause, would appreciate any suggestions? Thanks.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Welcome to the Board!

When you say "triggered from the ribbon", do you mean that you made your own Macro Shrotcut icons and added them to the ribbon?
I didn't think you could run macros if the file hosting the code wasn't opened (that seems like the expected behavior to me).
Are you sure that the computers that it is working on doesn't have the code stored in the Personal Macro Workbook (where the others aren't)?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

When you say "triggered from the ribbon", do you mean that you made your own Macro Shrotcut icons and added them to the ribbon?
I didn't think you could run macros if the file hosting the code wasn't opened (that seems like the expected behavior to me).
Are you sure that the computers that it is working on doesn't have the code stored in the Personal Macro Workbook (where the others aren't)?
Thanks, yes just assigning a shortcut in the customised ribbon. Usually (and I use them a lot and work on all except these 2 machines) the file needs to be open while you customise the tool bar, after which the shortcut calls the file to open automatically and runs the macro. I think since recent re-installing of Office this error suddenly occurred, seen other threads mentioning missing / corrupt registry files related to the customised ribbon but no further info

Upvote 0
Why not just add those Macros to the Personal Macro Workbook, so that they are always available whenever Excel is opened, and no other files needs to be called or opened?
This is precisely the thing the Personal Macro Workbook was designed for.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back