Error 9: Subscript Out of Range

billyheanue

Board Regular
Whats good homies,

I am a excel noob and I get this error 9 when I try to run this. Since it doesnt specify what line is actually wrong, Im wondering if any of the VB Guru's can point me in the right direction in terms of whats wrong with this code? Very confused!:mad:

Code:
Private Sub CommandButton8_Click()

Dim x As Integer
Dim y As Integer
Dim colindexval As Double
Dim resizeval As Double

resizeval = Sheet1.Cells(19, 12).Value
colindexval = Sheet1.Cells(16, 12).Value
Sheet9.Range(x, y).Resize(resizeval, 1).Formula = "=VLOOKUP(Sheet1!B16,Sheet2!" _
    & Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A12").CurrentRegion.Address & ",Sheet1!L$29,FALSE)"

End Sub

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
EDIT: I take back my original comment. I have learned differently.

BUMP....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This:

Sheet9.Range(x, y) is not a valid range. If you meant Sheet9.Cells(x,y) that's a problem too, because x and y haven't been initialized, both are 0, and Cells(0,0) is not a valid cell address.

Upvote 0
You do not have x and y defined here. The subscript error is happening on this line:

Code:
Sheet9.Range([B]x, y[/B]).Resize(resizeval, 1).Formula = "=VLOOKUP(Sheet1!B16,Sheet2!" _

Make sure you Define x & y, that should resolve that error.

But after that you will receive a different error.

and change that line to:

Code:
Sheets("Sheet9").[B]Cells[/B](x, y).Resize(resizeval, 1).Formula = "=VLOOKUP(Sheet1!B16,Sheet2!" _

Hopefully that works for you.

Test on a copy!

Looks like Joe beat me to it!

Upvote 0
Also an Excel noob. I'm having the same problem, but I'm using a different type of code. I'm just trying to copy a range of values to another sheet which I thought would be fairly simple. Here's my code:

Code:
Sub Copy_range()

Worksheets("Technician Report Summary").Range("G2:G8561").Copy

Worksheets("Summary Print").Range("C10:C8569").PasteSpecial

End Sub

When I run it I get Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range. The cells where I'm pasting the range to are merged while the range that I'm copying from aren't, so I thought that that may be the issue so I un-merged them to see and no, it didn't fix the problem. I still get the same error.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Dan

Upvote 0
Try
Code:
With Worksheets("Technician Report Summary").Range("G2:G8561")
    .Copy Worksheets("Summary Print").Range("C10")
End With

Upvote 0
I tried your code but still got the same message :(. I'm not sure what's wrong.
Are you absolutely sure the sheet names you used in your code match the names on the sheet tabs exactly? Make sure the names in the tabs do not have a leading or trailing space in them.

Upvote 0
The names match up. I just tried the code in another workbook with the same sort of set up and it worked fine. I'm so confused! Could there be something wrong with my workbook or something?

Thanks for the help,

Dan

Upvote 0
The names match up. I just tried the code in another workbook with the same sort of set up and it worked fine. I'm so confused! Could there be something wrong with my workbook or something?
I guess your workbook could be corrupted, but I really do not know for sure. What I do know is I see nothing wrong with the line of code you posted (nor the shorter version of it that MARK858 posted)... the error you reported, for the line of code you posted, would usually come from a misspelling of the sheet name (hence my original question).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back