Error Bars on pivot charts

Dwalker

Hi

I'm having some issues with error bars on a pivot chart I have created.

The underlying data set is grouped into 3 separate materials.
Each material has several repeat tests associated (so for example the table will have several rows of numerical data, with the first cell in each row containing "Material 1", "Material 2" or "Material 3").
A pivot table is summarising this data, so it can provide either the raw test data or averages for each material.

When I create a pivot chart from this data, all works as expected until I come to add error bars. It seems to calculate the error bars based on the standard deviation of the entire data set rather than the group. So the error bar is the same width and position for material 1, 2 and 3.

Is there any way to make it so that it uses the standard deviation for the group, ie "material 1"?

Many thanks

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Thanks! Is there any way of achieving that in conjunction with a pivot table? Because users are likely to filter and unfilter the chart, changing what standard deviations would be required.

Upvote 0
You couldn't really use the same pivot table, because all the data in the pivot table goes into the chart as plotted series, and you don't want to plot the standard deviations as series.

You could do something with a duplicate pivot table, which instead of showing the values shows the standard deviation of the values. You can keep the pivot tables in sync if you use slicers to filter them.

Or you could use some VBA that calculates new standard deviations when the pivot table is refreshed or filtered.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back