Error Handling

rossbritton26

Hi,

I have some code with opens a file one at a time from a list and this works fine until the file in the list cannot be found in the already specified location.

My only problem is what the code does when the file cannot be found.
Currently, Excel displays a error message and then gives me the option to End or Debug, however as the list of files can be quite large I would just like to skip to "Next k" and resume running the code as if nothing as happened.

I have tried many combinations of onerror etc. but can't seem to crack it,

any ideas?
Ross.

VoG

Legend
Maybe like this

Code:
On Error Resume Next
'
'try to open the file
'
On Error GoTo 0

cova

Board Regular
OnError Resume Next would be my choice, but without seeing the code I couldnt say it would work for sure

RoryA

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
365, 2019, 2016, 2010
Platform
Windows, MacOS
It would be better to test for its existence before trying to open it:
Code:
If Dir("your file path") <> "" Then
' process file code here
End If
for example.

rossbritton26

Rory,

That worked brilliantly thank you very much.

I have also implemented the other answers thank you and will use them again in the future. :)

Ross

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davileal

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• populate from drop list with multiple tables
    Hi All, i have a drop list that displays data, what i want is when i select one of those from the list to populate text from different tables on...
  • Find list of words from sheet2 in sheet1 before a comma and extract text vba
    Hi Friends, Trying to find the solution on my task. But did not find suitable one to the need. Here is my query and sample file with details...
  • Dynamic Formula entry - VBA code sought
    Hello, really hope one of you experts can help with this - i've spent hours on this and getting no-where. .I have a set of data (more rows than...
  • Listbox Header
    Have a named range called "AccidentsHeader" Within my code I have: [CODE]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ListBox1.RowSource =...
  • Complex Heat Map using conditional formatting
    Good day excel world. I have a concern. Below link have a list of countries that carries each country unique data. [URL...
  • Conditional formatting
    Hi good morning, hope you can help me please, I have cells P4:P54 and if this cell is equal to 1 then i want row O to say "Fully Utilised" and to...