Error in simple operation in new calculated field

gifariz

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am new in Access (and not currently planning to go deep).
I want to do simple operation in new calculated field: (1) combine two text fields with "__" delimiter, and (2) multiply/divide numberic field with a value.
Then, I will save the Access and load it to Excel as a Pivot.

I saw this video by microsoft to do that: Video: Use the Calculated data type to combine fields - Microsoft Support
When I try that, and also the division operation similarly, I got this error "Verify that expression '[OutputCase] + "__" + [Joint]' (or '[U3] / 3.86') includes fields that exist in the current table":
1677039930160.png
1677039946768.png

What did I miss?
TIA

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Where are you trying to do this calculation? Directly in the table, or in a query?
While newer versions of Excel allow you to do calculated fields right at the table level, there are a bunch of limitations (i.e. I don't believe you are allowed to reference other fields).
Having calculated fields at the table level isn't really a good idea. It violates the rules of normalization (not good database design). It is much better to do it at the query level.
And you can really use queries for just about anything that you would use tables for, so there is no issue there.

Upvote 0
Solution
Where are you trying to do this calculation? Directly in the table, or in a query?
While newer versions of Excel allow you to do calculated fields right at the table level, there are a bunch of limitations (i.e. I don't believe you are allowed to reference other fields).
Having calculated fields at the table level isn't really a good idea. It violates the rules of normalization (not good database design). It is much better to do it at the query level.
And you can really use queries for just about anything that you would use tables for, so there is no issue there.
Thank you for your answer. I tried to do it in table, didn't know there is table vs query difference.
Now that I know Access has whole new system different than excel, it may take me a while to learn.
So I will use Power Query in excel to process Access data for now, and will revisit Access again in the future.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Now that I know Access has whole new system different than excel, it may take me a while to learn.
Yes, the learning curve for Access is a little steeper than Excel's, but it is very powerful.
Following the rule of Data Normalization and good database design are key in developing good Access databases.
Here is a good article of some of the basics: Database design basics - Microsoft Support

Upvote 0
Just FYI you should use & for concatenation too, not + especially if one or more of the fields is numeric.

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back