Error source not found meassage but Links still updating

Tony Miall

Active Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
304
Morning all,

I have recently upgraded to 2010 and am creating a summary workbook from 9 different sources. When I look at the link status it's telling me "error sorce not found" for all the links. However the values seem to be correct and when I click "open Link" the relevent workbook opens. How can this happen if the "source" is not found?

The source files all begin with SLS so I wasn't sure if that has something to do with it?

Just wondered if anyone else has encountered this?

Thanks
 

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.

xenou

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Joined
Mar 2, 2007
Messages
16,687
Office Version
2013
Platform
Windows
I've noticed such behavior before but never really figured it out. One theory is that there may be some problem in the source - defined names with Ref# errors, missing links to macros, or links in the source that are themselves broken. I think in my case a macro attached to a shape created a bug.

Like you, I found that I could just ignore the "bad link" (and try not to let it bother me) - if you get any clues to the reason why then post back as it would be interesting to gather more clues about this one.

ξ
 

Tony Miall

Active Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
304
yeah,

Basically it's just annoying. I have checked and deleted phantom links so it's not that, anyway if I have any luck I will let you know
 

Tony Miall

Active Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
304
Hello again,

I have had a further problem arise from this. Now the destination workbook does not update the links unless I open the source workbook. I have tried to change the source but when I do all that happens is that the first cell in the destination workbook with a link formula in it, comes up with #REF. I have done as advised and checked that all the named ranges etc are valid. After lots of testing there is no doubt the problem exists in the source workbooks. I recently upgraded form 2003 to 2010 and that's when the problem started.

The other problem I struck is in the find and replace function. The destination workbook has references to 10 other files. In the past I would do the references to one workbook then copy and paste all the formulas to a new sheet and do a find and replace all in the formulas. When I try this now this function only replaces the first cell of a few hundred and gives me the #REF message in that cell. It does not replace the new name in any other cells.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
 

Tony Miall

Active Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
304
xenou,

Just to close this out..... It turns out there was some sort of a problem with the macro buttons themselves. I ended up copying and pasting the raw data and code into a new workbook, then redrawing the macro buttons and reassigning the macros. It was fairly tedious but it did the trick. All I can contribute is that the buttons were originally drawn in 1997 and had some colours in their formatting that are not available now. I assume Excel 2010 hit a problem trying to identify the colour index??

Also when I copied the raw data some of the cell shading changed to a new colour. Anyway it appears the conversion of files from previous versions does have some limitations.

Hope that assists your investigations.
 

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
1,106,925
Messages
5,514,200
Members
408,990
Latest member
fresse68

This Week's Hot Topics

  • Sort code advice please
    Hi, I have the code below which im trying to edit but getting a little stuck. This was the original code which worked fine,columns A-F would sort...
  • SUMPRODUCT with nested If statement
    Hi everyone, Hope you're all well. I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction with a problem I'm having with a SUMPRODUCT...
  • VBA - simple sort is killing me!
    Hello all! This should be so easy, but not for me, apparently! I have a table of data that can be of varying lengths and widths. My current macro...
  • Compare Two Lists
    I have two Lists and I need to be able to Identify differences between them. List 100 comes from a workbook - the other is downloaded form the...
  • Formula that deducts points for each code I input.
    I am trying to create a formula that will have each student in my class start at 100 points and then for each code that I enter (PP for Poor...
  • Conditional formatting formula required for day of week and a value
    Hi, I have a really simple spreadsheet where column A is the date, column B is the activity total shown as a number and column C states the day of...
Top