Error source not found meassage but Links still updating

Tony Miall

Morning all,

I have recently upgraded to 2010 and am creating a summary workbook from 9 different sources. When I look at the link status it's telling me "error sorce not found" for all the links. However the values seem to be correct and when I click "open Link" the relevent workbook opens. How can this happen if the "source" is not found?

The source files all begin with SLS so I wasn't sure if that has something to do with it?

Just wondered if anyone else has encountered this?

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
I've noticed such behavior before but never really figured it out. One theory is that there may be some problem in the source - defined names with Ref# errors, missing links to macros, or links in the source that are themselves broken. I think in my case a macro attached to a shape created a bug.

Like you, I found that I could just ignore the "bad link" (and try not to let it bother me) - if you get any clues to the reason why then post back as it would be interesting to gather more clues about this one.

ξ

Upvote 0
yeah,

Basically it's just annoying. I have checked and deleted phantom links so it's not that, anyway if I have any luck I will let you know

Upvote 0
Hello again,

I have had a further problem arise from this. Now the destination workbook does not update the links unless I open the source workbook. I have tried to change the source but when I do all that happens is that the first cell in the destination workbook with a link formula in it, comes up with #REF. I have done as advised and checked that all the named ranges etc are valid. After lots of testing there is no doubt the problem exists in the source workbooks. I recently upgraded form 2003 to 2010 and that's when the problem started.

The other problem I struck is in the find and replace function. The destination workbook has references to 10 other files. In the past I would do the references to one workbook then copy and paste all the formulas to a new sheet and do a find and replace all in the formulas. When I try this now this function only replaces the first cell of a few hundred and gives me the #REF message in that cell. It does not replace the new name in any other cells.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
xenou,

Just to close this out..... It turns out there was some sort of a problem with the macro buttons themselves. I ended up copying and pasting the raw data and code into a new workbook, then redrawing the macro buttons and reassigning the macros. It was fairly tedious but it did the trick. All I can contribute is that the buttons were originally drawn in 1997 and had some colours in their formatting that are not available now. I assume Excel 2010 hit a problem trying to identify the colour index??

Also when I copied the raw data some of the cell shading changed to a new colour. Anyway it appears the conversion of files from previous versions does have some limitations.

Hope that assists your investigations.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottdog129

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back