Error using Index and Match to return data from another spreadsheet

F_Ribeiro

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello everybody!

I'm finishing this macro, which is the last one I had to do, and I decided to use Index and Match to fill in column A using the value in the cell of the corresponding row in column B as a reference.

This data must be obtained from another sheet, and the values I need are also in column A, with the reference values in column B.

But after a lot of trying, I can't get the function to work. Whats wrong? The error occurs in W2.Range just after the parenthesis of the Index function with the following message: "Incorrect number of arguments or invalid property assignment". Was it just a syntax error? Because it seems to me that I filled in the parameters correctly.

VBA Code:
Sub Material_Code()

Dim W1 As Worksheet
Dim W2 As Worksheet
Dim lastRow As Long
Dim Cell As Range

Set W1 = Sheets("Requests")
Set W2 = Sheets("Catalog")

W1.Activate

lastRow = W.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

For Each Cell In W1.Range("A2:A" & lastRow)
      Cell.Offset(0, -1) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(W2.Range("A2:A20", Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Cell, W2.Range("B2:B20", 0)), 0))
Next Cell

End Sub

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Your ranges dont have closing brackets.

VBA Code:
Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(W2.Range("A2:A20"), Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Cell, W2.Range("B2:B20"), 0), 0)

Upvote 0
This isnt right either:

VBA Code:

W should be W1 by the look and you really should use it on the Rows too:

VBA Code:
lastRow = W1.Range("A" & W1.Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

Upvote 0
Hello everybody!

I'm finishing this macro, which is the last one I had to do, and I decided to use Index and Match to fill in column A using the value in the cell of the corresponding row in column B as a reference.

This data must be obtained from another sheet, and the values I need are also in column A, with the reference values in column B.

But after a lot of trying, I can't get the function to work. Whats wrong? The error occurs in W2.Range just after the parenthesis of the Index function with the following message: "Incorrect number of arguments or invalid property assignment". Was it just a syntax error? Because it seems to me that I filled in the parameters correctly.

VBA Code:
Sub Material_Code()

Dim W1 As Worksheet
Dim W2 As Worksheet
Dim lastRow As Long
Dim Cell As Range
[QUOTE="steve the fish, post: 5653153, member: 129873"]

[CODE=vba]Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(W2.Range("A2:A20"), Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Cell, W2.Range("B2:B20"), 0), 0)

Set W1 = Sheets("Requests")
Set W2 = Sheets("Catalog")

W1.Activate

For Each Cell In W1.Range("A2:A" & lastRow)
Cell.Offset(0, -1) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(W2.Range("A2:A20", Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Cell, W2.Range("B2:B20", 0)), 0))
Next Cell

End Sub[/CODE]
[/QUOTE]

VBA Code:
Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(W2.Range("A2:A20"), Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Cell, W2.Range("B2:B20"), 0), 0)
The syntax looks better, but error 1004 appears, saying that I can't use the WorksheetFunction class's Match object.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VanGirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back