Error with no advanced filter criteria being met

Ark68

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Below is a snippet of code (graciously assisted by Colin_L and VoG) I use to delete rows of a database isolated by an advanced filter.

It works greats when there are rows that meet the criteria. Although it hasn't happened yet, it is inevitable that at some point the filter will result in no rows needing to be deleted. I will receive an error no doubt when it tries to delete visual cells that are not there.

What error protection method can I build into this code to prevent a break from occuring? I have 5 instances of similar code part of the entire routine each filtering and deleting different sets of criteria, so uncertain whether or not protection can be global or for each separate filter attempt.

Code:
' *** Delete CLASS C facilities ***
'
    With Worksheets("Fields_Regular")
        Dim iFCCdel As Integer
            With .Range("A1:K6000")
            .AdvancedFilter _
                    Action:=xlFilterInPlace, _
                    CriteriaRange:=Worksheets("Criteria").Range("G16:G17"), _
                    Unique:=False
                    iFCCdel = WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Columns("A"), "C")
                    MsgBox "CLASS C RECORDS: " & iFCCdel

On Error Resume Next
            Set rngToDelete = .Offset(1).Resize(.Rows.Count - 1, 1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
            On Error GoTo 0
        End With

If .FilterMode Then .ShowAllData
    End With

If Not rngToDelete Is Nothing Then rngToDelete.EntireRow.Delete
'
Exit Sub

ErrorHandler:
    MsgBox Err.Number & vbLf & Err.Description
    Resume ErrorExit

Jenn

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Hi Jenn,

Good thinking, it's always best to be prepared for different scenarios.

I think we've done an OK job here though, it looks to me like we've already put in defensive coding to cater for this possibility. Which line do you think will error?

Upvote 0
If I use the filter criteria Fruit (G17) = "Apples"(H17), if the filter finds no instance of fruit in the database, it will turn up with no rows. The filtered database will be empty with the exception of the header row.

The code will then try to delete all the rows, minus the offset header row, all the visible rows found in the filtered dataset. So will the code not stop with an error at either
Code:
Set rngToDelete = .Offset(1).Resize(.Rows.Count - 1, 1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
OR
Code:
?

Ideally, if the code runs into this scenario, it should continue onto the next section of code, and perhaps leave a message to the user that the filter did not encounter any data for that particular criteria.

As I had mentioned, I use similar code to filter 5 different groups, so the message would have to be variable.

I assume that
Code:
ErrorHandler:
    MsgBox Err.Number & vbLf & Err.Description
    Resume ErrorExit
is the code in place for when the filter encounters a null find?

Since I use similar code in 5 different case, I only have one instance of this snippit. Again, I assume that all 5 filter attempts will rely on this error code if encountering a null find at any one of them?

If that is the case, will assigning a messagebox as a variable within each individual filter code and then displaying it in the ErrorHandler code provide that variable message? The ErrorHandler code has the sub ending at that point. Rather than ending though, action ust continue to the next filter code. Only if it reaches an error on the last filter should it exit.

Confused?

Jenn

Jenn

Upvote 0
Hi Jenn,

No it won't error in that scenario - we have already defensively coded to allow for no visible cells.

If there are no visible cells (excluding the header row) then nothing will be assigned to the rngToDelete range variable here:
Code:

Then, when we get to the point where a range may be deleted:
Code:
we check that rngToDelete has a reference to a range. If rngToDelete is nothing then it will not try to delete anything.

Give it a test on a backup of your workbook. Give it some criteria which won't be met and see if it errors out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back