#### error

kohlheppk

I am working in a worksheet that I have a column named description. I formatted the column so that it wraps the text entered. I have a few cells that despite the fact that I try to extend the column or resize that paricular row, I cannot have the text appear. I have even tried to decrease the font size but that only makes the #### smaller. Is there anything that I can do about this?

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Usually this is because the cell contains a number that is too large to display given the current column width.

But you say you have adjusted the column width.

So what does the offending cell contain?

Upvote 0
According to Excel's help, this error is caused by a too narrow column width, or, trying to perform a substraction between dates that result in a negative date (Using the 1900 system). So, is any of them ?

Upvote 0
If you are using text strings, even with word-wrap, you are limited to a string length of 255 characters.

Upvote 0
You can try formatting the cell to:
Format-Cells-Alignment, Word Wrap, Vertical:Top. For cell text functions a cells width(column) is more important than hight(row).

Also you can override this limit with a text macro. Even with the macro width is more important than hight and you must format the cell as in above. JSW

Sub myText()
[A1] = "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb" & _
"cccccccccccccccccccccc ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ff " & _
"ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg " & _
"hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk l " & _
"kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk " & _
"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" & _
"cccccccccccccccccccccc ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ff " & _
"ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg " & _
"hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk l " & _
"kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk " & _
"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CantExcel123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back