Escel Crashing

DaveO

Board Regular
I have a spreadsheet running on my laptop which uses XP Home edition and Office2000 premium. It uses the Data Analysis add-in. Everything works perfectly.

However, On my desktop system (Clean install of XP and Office, Excel is crashing when I switch to VB editor or when I click certain buttons written into the sheet.

My main system specs are P4 2.4Ghz, 512Mb DDR Ram, 120Gb HDD. No other applications installed.

Any ideas from anyone what may be causing the problem.

btw - Not an application I wrote and cannot access VB code as editor crashes when loading

Dave

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
hi!
I havnt experience that!
But have you tried repairing excel?
goto help>detect and repair
Some internal setting in xcell have gone wrong maybe!
good luck!

Upvote 0
I will try that, but After total format/re-install, it is the first app I have run.

Upvote 0
Well I have tried detect and repair and the sheet still crashes - even when running in safe mode.

Have searched Microsoft knowledge base to no avail.

Any further suggestions would be welcome. The annoying thing is that this is the only PC it won't work on so I think it must be either a problem with the hardware or drivers, but no other apps are crashing out on me.

Dave

Upvote 0
similar problem
i was getting "assertion failed" message box when trying to get the VBE
in my case a re-install fixed it.

Upvote 0
I may have located the problem you were having w/ VBE crashing Excel.
See post and link:

Roy,
I am not sure which one, Adobe or Efax was causing the overall problem. I suspect both. Reason: When I uninstalled Adobe, which was first to happen, I could then deselect Default to Full Module View, and then exit the program right away w/ no program crashing. I only then started removing all associations w/ other PDF programs and Efax happens to dock an icon on the menu toolbar.
Efax has been a good program and now that I know that there could be some conflict I will reinstall it in a few days after more testing that this indeed was the issue. If then a problem occurs, I will contact the company for more info. The following link may prove helpful, and I want to offer credit to the original author and gumshoe detective that discovered the problem: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forumarch...st24120052.asp

9/6/2005 9:45:19 PM Re: VBE causes excel and word to crash when closed
Thanks for the useful tips.

I think I found it. After removing Adobe PDFWriter and its office

macro's the problem disappeared. Probably one of these automatic updates

by Adobe has introduced the problem a week ago. Now Excel starts up in a

quarter of the time and shuts down in a tenth of what it used to do.

PDFCreator is nicer anyway without all the macro klimbim. So I am

happily waiting for the next mysterious problem.

Janwillem van Dijk wrote:

Full Thread:
http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?p=271344&posted=1#post271344

Excerpt to resolution post:

Jack- as to your posts, I am still unclear on two things. 1. Holding down the shift key and opening a file did not supress macros from loading, what I mean to write is, the msgbox to enable or disable macros still pops up. Is this what you mean or is there something I am not doing correctly following your instructions?
Second- uninstalling and reinstalling Office the correct way- In a follow-up post I inquired regarding how to uninstall correctly. Are you saying to uninstall w/ the disk and not through the control panel? Can you provide more info here?
As for the link regarding the removing all traces of Office, thanks. But after reading the description, it seems to me this only applies to situations where the installation was an upgrade, not a new installation, which in my case was a new install.

Thought these follow up comments will help other viewers sometime or another.

Cheers,

Doug Stroud

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SarahSomethingExcel100

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back